Should I repair or replace Jaw Implants?

64 yo female who had a face lift and jaw implants (large) on 8/4/16. The implants are asymmetrical and the R side is not sitting on the jaw causing pain and discomfort.. The implants are too large for my face resulting in just a Fat face appearance. Should I have the R side repaired or have them both replaced or with smaller size implants. I like the general look achieved, but since one side needs to be repaired , should I just have them both done.

Jaw implants

Hello and thank you for your question.   Were the implants medpor implants with screw fixation?  These are likely to stay in place.  Silicone implants have a tendency to undergo malposition.  While it is normal to have swelling at two months, they may need to be downsized based on your description.   I recommend you see your surgeon and share your concerns.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Replacing implants

It is likely that there is still some swelling present two months after implant placement so patience may be advised for the "fat face" appearance.  The pain is concerning, if the implant is causing nerve compression it may need to be repositioned or removed.  In either case, a conversation with your operating surgeon is the first step.

Mark Beaty, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon

Face implants, jaw pain, asymmetry implant, post-op discomfort

Thank you for the query. If asymmetry is the issue and if pain and discomfort is being caused by improper positioning, then you need to be reevaluated by your surgeon after all the swelling has settled  and seriously discuss if a revision surgery needs to be done. This can be decided only between you and your surgeon depending on the goals and results achieved as compared to your pre op status.

best wishes+

Alexander George, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Jaw implants - should they be replaced?

Thank you for asking about your jaw implants.

• If you are in pain, then something needs to be done, presumably repositioning and securing the implant.
  • However, you need to discuss the issue with your surgeon.
  • You may need some studies to locate the implants and identify the cause of the asymmetry.
  • Your surgeon should be able to tell you if the 'fat face' look you have now is from swelling or from the implants.
  • If your bones are small and you have a large implant, it would make sense to place smaller implants 
  • If you want smaller implants, regardless, then have smaller ones placed now.
  • It is important to have a plan - so you undergo only one more procedure because having multiple procedures reduces your chance of a good result.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Jaw implants

This is a fairly complex situation.  There is no exact right thing to do.  If you don't like the size, and all the swelling is gone (so you can assess acurately) a size change might be considered.  Have an in depth discussion with your surgeon so you are completely aware of all the possible risk and benefits of each considered circumstance and then make a decision about what to do next.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Post Jaw implants

My suggestion is  to discuss your concerns with

your surgeon. He will advise you on your best options.

It may be wise to allow for all swelling to resolve before a 

final decision.

Best Wishes

Fernando Colon, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon