Can my nose be made smaller, more proportionate to my face and my bridge hump removed? (Photos)

I had a consultant done last year with the doctor telling me i was a "complicated case" and that it was going to cost me 10K to fix my nose! The after photos looked no different from the before, the bridge bump being gone was really all i noticed different. Can my nose be helped? I want it smaller, much smaller, more proportion to my face, and i want the bridge bump gone. I have trouble breathing due to what i believe is my nostril collapse. I was born that way, it's been like that my whole life

Nose surgery

It could certainly be made smaller. One would have to examine you to know the appropriate approach. Rhinoplasty can address droopy tip, bulbous tip, dorsal hump, hanging columella, and wide nostrils

Rhinoplasty, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us.

In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features.

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Thank you for your question and photographs.You may benefit from a septorhinoplasty considering you are having trouble with your breathing. Anything that is medically necessary can be put through your insurance to see if they will cover it. Anything cosmetic such as your hump reduction and overall reduction in size of nose will have to be self-paid, most practices will offer payment plans for this. I would recommend you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in rhinoplasty for the best results. I hope this helps.
Best of luck in your endeavors!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Your nose can certainly be improved in the hands of a skilled rhinoplasty physician.  Cost will depend on the location in the country and the expertise level of your surgeon, but at least for our area, that cost is not out of line for a case like yours.  Breathing problems should be addressed to the degree possible at the same time, and that's something that your insurance plan may actually cover.  Be sure to speak with a surgeon in consultation who is comfortable and experienced at noses like yours that need "de-projecting" surgery.

Cosmetic nasal surgery and functional breathing surgery combination

Functional nasal surgery can be performed at the same time as cosmetic nasal surgery, only after a thorough examination of the internal and external portion of the nose to determine but may be required.  Functional nasal surgery is typically billed to the patient's medical insurance, once medical necessity has been documented at the time of the examination of consultation.  A cosmetic rhinoplasty could also accomplish improvement of the nose which might include shaving down the dorsal hump, narrowing the bridge, making the tip more symmetrical, and decreasing the overall projection of the nose.  For more information about the differences between functional and cosmetic rhinoplasty and many before and after examples, please see the video and the link below

A Smaller Nose

Your nose can be markedly improved with rhinoplasty surgery.  All areas for which you are looking for improvement can be addressed.  I would suggest you consult with a surgeon who has much experience with nasal surgery to allow yourself the best opportunity for a successful outcome.  Good Luck!

Anthony Corrado, DO
Philadelphia Facial Plastic Surgeon

Your nose may be able to be made smaller. It would be nice to see you in person and if possible review what was done before. If you have preop photos from your original surgery that would be helpful as well.

I Want a Smaller Nose

Your hump can be removed but the most challenging part of your rhinoplasty will be straightening your nose and the correction of the collapsed asymmetrical over projected tip. Carefully select an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon who devotes most of their practice to this procedure.

Your nose

Noses can be made smaller -- you need an experienced rhinoplastic surgeon who has been doing this for years. Also a plastic/ent background is needed if you have problems breathing. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a nasal tip de-projection to make your entire nose smaller, a cephalic rotation of your tip to turn up your tip slightly, and a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had tip de-projection surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD