Local anasthesia in subglandular implants?

hello , i'll have 450 cc mentor implants , rounded moderate profile subglandular under local anasthesia , is it safe ? Thank you

Anesthesia for breast augmentation...

There are many different types of acceptable techniques of anesthesia that can be used for the breast augmentation procedure. As long as the plastic surgeon and anesthesiologist involved are “expert” at the technique selected, patients generally do very well.

My advice to patients is: concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

Once you have chosen your plastic surgeon carefully, everything else, including the type of anesthesia ( and most importantly SAFETY concerns)  will follow. 

Having said that, in my practice I prefer the use of general  anesthesia provided by a well experienced board-certified anesthesiologist.

Local anesthesia?

Local anesthesia may be pretty uncomfortable and I certainly hope you're using an actual board certified plastic surgeon who has employed an anesthesia doctor to be present and intervene in case you cannot tolerate the procedure. I've used the same general anesthesia technique for 15 years and don't see the advantages of local only. Good luck, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Breast Augmentation with straight local anesthesia

Thank you for your question. You certainly may be compromising your own comfort by choosing to have a Breast Augmentation under straight local anesthesia. Most outpatient or ambulatory surgery centers will not perform such a procedure under straight local. You may wish to consider local sedation or a MAC versus local anesthesia only. Please discuss your concerns BEFOREHAND with your (hopefully) board-certified plastic surgeon. 

Local anesthesia is safe. However the important thing is whether you will be comfortable. It is not always possible to get adequate anesthesia with local for breast augmentation. I do not do it. Cautery is usually necessary to control bleeding and local anesthesia does not block heat sensation which the cautery causes.