Is liposuction the right decision? What type of liposuction should I consider? How many litres of fat to be removed? (Photo)

I am 5 ft6 and weigh 140 pounds. Though not overweight I am still a stone and a half heavier before having a child. My problem isn't so much my weight but where I store fat. I have excess fat around my lower belly rib cage and back. I have slender arms and legs .The reason I want this is that I hate my stomach and find its hard to shop as depending on the different style jeans I fluctuate between 3 different sizes .size 4 if low rise, size 6 high waist and size 8 mid rise.

LIPO

You should get a nice result with any method of liposuction.  You appear to have good quality skin that should retract nicely around the smaller foundation that liposuction will create.  Hard to estimate volume to be removed.  Good Luck. 

Excellent Candidate for Lipo

Even with all of the new technologies out there, the best results can be still be obtained by an experienced, well intentioned Plastic Surgeon using traditional liposuction techniques.  This technique would employ progressively smaller cannulas and slowly working from the deep fat to the more superficial layers.

You should have an excellent result by removing approximately 2 liters of fat from your abdomen and flanks.  Stay away from SmartLipo and other expensive technologies that make false promises!  Good luck!!!  

Eric Sadeh, MD

Liposuction

Hi.  It looks like you are a candidate for liposuction or, alternatively, CoolSculpting, which is a non-surgical alternative.  I would have to assess your skin elasticity & laxity and abdominal muscle to make sure that your skin would re-drape nicely.

The type of liposuction doesn't really make much of a difference - it's about the surgeon's skill, not the type of cannula.  "It's the carpenter, not the hammer, that makes the difference."

Best to visit a Board-certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss the options.

Fat removal

There are many good forms of liposuction. It is not so much the technique that is important as it is the surgeon.

Libel section versus tummy tuck; which one is best?

You raise some very good points which are brought to my attention with many of my patients. It all depends on how you present yourself regarding the looseness of your skin and the looseness of your abdominal wall. The looseness of the skin which appears minimal on your photos is dictated by how much extra skin you have hanging over your belt line as well as the amount of stretch marks. The laxity or looseness of your abdominal wall which is comprised of fascia which envelops the muscles is not treated at all by liposuction.  A mini versus a full tummy tuck can be employed depending upon the amount of weakness of the abdominal wall and extra skin that is found above the belly button. Liposuction only addresses the fat which can be treated by Vaser liposuction, which I use exclusively. Vaser liposuction does more than the other modes of liposuction in stimulating skin tightening. I would have to closely evaluate your skin to determine which option is best along with having a detailed evaluation with you to determine your expectations. From this one dimensional photo, however, it looks like you could be a very good candidate for liposuction. Good luck!

Sean T. Lille, MD

Liposuction removal estimate

You appear to be a good candidate for standard tumescent liposuction.  Smartlipo could also be done to assist in skin tightening. I would estimate approximately 3 liters of removal. I would do the procedure under general anesthesia. 

J. Joseph Danyo, MD
Greenville Plastic Surgeon

Is liposuction the right decision?

Thank you for your question. Based on your height and weight as well as your photos, it appears that you are a good candidate for liposuction. However, only physical exam can help assess approximately how much volume would be removed by looking at pinch thickness and skin quality. In general, the best candidates for liposuction are patients who are at their ideal weight but have isolated areas of fat that bother them and they are relatively weight stable.

Regarding types of liposuction, my preference is VASER liposuction. In my hands it produces great results with decreased swelling, bruising and faster recovery. That being said, the type of liposuction  does not matter as much as having a qualified board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced.

Wishing you the best of luck. 

Jennifer Capla, MD

Tumescent liposuction

Tumescent liposuction should give you an excellent result.  Treating the distribution of fat is the correct use of the operation.

You may very well be an excellent candidate for liposuction

From what you describe and what your photos show, you may very well be an excellent candidate for liposuction.

A direct physical examination is more precise in determining what type of results would be reasonable in your case.

Personally, I use a technique called AirSculpt.

It requires no needles, no scalpels and no sutures.

The procedure is quite simple, done with patients awake, and recovery is typically easy.

The experience of the surgeon far outweighs any branded name or special equipment used.

I am fortunate to have access to the equipment I use but can deliver excellent results with any liposuction equipment.

This is based on more than 2,000 procedures done over the last five years.

Mats Hagstrom, M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Good candidate for liposuction.

From the photograph it looks as though you'd be a good candidate for liposuction. Patients that are reasonably fit with isolated areas are the best patients. The skin appears to be in good condition over the areas to be treated. In a fit individual around 300 mL of fat is removed per area. The type of liposuction is determined by the surgeon not the other way around.