Labiaplasty wound separations 26 days post op (Photo)

I'm 26 days post op (trim method) and have wound separations on both sides. My Doctor says everything looks ok and the separations should heal. I also have a split in the bottom of the right labia (pink area). My doctor says I may end up with a skin tag like thing there that may need to be removed if it bothers me once healed. I feel like I should be a lot farther along in the healing process at this point (almost a month). Also Afraid to even aTtemp sex at the 6 week mark. Very concerned.

Incision Separation

All surgical procedures have some degree of risk.  Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally and major complications are rare. Any of these can include infection, bleeding, (hematoma), separation of the incision, changes in sensation, pain, increased sensitivity, unsatisfactory cosmetic results.  Any concerns of infection, new pain, swelling, bleeding , drainage should immediately be address by the doctor.

So it is good that you have already seen your doctor about this issue. If he stated that there was no major issue with the separation at the time he should be able to provide you with all proper advice based on his knowledge of your specific case. If you do end up uncomfortable or worried further about this issue, you should visit your surgeon again to make sure that the healing process is moving along well and that everything is still alright. Good luck to you!

Labiaplasty wound separations 26 days

Thank you for sharing.   Based on the photos you submitted, this occurs frequently and almost always heals beautifully on its own.  Give it some time and follow up closely with your surgeon.

Scar separation is normal

Thanks for sharing. Your situation is not uncommon and they will heal all on their own without any further intervention with 99% certainty.  I agree with Dr Pelosi give it 6-8 weeks and see what happens at that time. based upon my experience those areas will heal in 2-3 weeks.  Good luck with  your recovery

John R Miklos MD

Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai

Its hard to see what you are referring to in the photo. Be sure to follow up with your surgeon and keep hi./her updated on your healing progress.

John G. Hunter, MD

Wound Separation

I would continue to see your doctor until the wound is healed and ask when you can try sex. I would not think 6 weeks would be wise in your case.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

What to do with your labiaplasty scar separations

These scar separations appear to be superficial and under low tension. This means they should shrink rather than widen and heal with minimal issues. I would delay sex until they've healed completely in 6-8 weeks but only after your surgeon confirms this.

Labiaplasty wound separations 26 days post op

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and I am sorry to hear of your wound healing difficulties after surgery. You do have a superficial separation of your incisions which should heal well, with little impact to your long-term results, with local wound care.  Essentially your body will need to heal from the inside-out.  I would maintain close follow up with your surgeon to ensure no further issues develop and would delay your time frame for sex and other physical activities until you are fully healed.  Best wishes.

You did the right thing by following up with your doctor. You have a separation of the suture line. That will heal with time . You may need a revision in the future, but for now I would follow your doctors instructions, keep it clean , allow it to heal  and then re-evaluate the area for a revision in a few months . It will end up looking better than you think it will  based on what  the appearance  is now. 

Cheri Ong, MD, FACS