I ha a large abdominal incision colectomy the end of last October. Is CoolSculpting appropriate for me?

My abdomen has significantly changed "shape" although I haven't gained weight. 

Cool Sculpting after Abdominal Surgery

It is possible if you have no hernia or muscle weakness following your surgery. When you seek a consultation go where they have a plastic surgery overseeing the consultation staff so you have a physician assessing you for this problem. We always wait at least 6-12 months to do any cool sculpting over a surgical incision. So, in my opinion it is possible for you to have cool sculpting but obviously an in person consultation would best help you know if you're a candidate or not. Best of Luck.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

CoolSculpting after abdominal surgery

Dear jarrelland: CoolSculpting can be performed after  abdominal surgery and over surgical scars, unless a hernia is present in the area to be treated. In addition to determining  whether you are an appropriate candidate for CoolSculpting, I might want to explore with you why you are distributing fat to in the abdominal area even though you are not gaining weight after your colectomy.  All the best,  Dr. Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Thank you for your question. CoolSculpting can be done as long as there is no weakness in your abdominal wall. I would recommend seeing a board certified plastic surgeon for a consultation to determine if you are a good CoolSculpting candidate. Regards, 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

CoolSculpting over an Abdominal Scar

This is a question that you will want to take up with your local CoolSculpting expert.  In general, CoolSculpting CAN be done over well healed surgical or traumatic scars if there is no weakness in the underlying abdominal wall.  In other words, if there is no associated hernia related to the incision.  There is a chance that CoolSculpting can help improve even unusual fat accumulations that may result from surgery as any fat that is within reach of hand piece should be expected to improve, regardless of the reason the fat is there.  Good luck!  Dr. Shafran

Kerry M. Shafran, MD
Charlotte Dermatologist

Coolsculpting and Abdominal Scars

It is possible to do Coolsculpting after abdominal surgery but an in-person consultation is the best way to customize your treatment.  You are not appropriate to have your Coolsculpting outside of a plastic surgeons office, such as at a spa.  You need to be advised by someone who deals with this sort of problem regularly, so seek an appropriate practitioner.

Deborah Ekstrom, MD
Worcester Plastic Surgeon

Coolsculpting after Abdominal Surgery

Without a photo an in person consultation is the only way to assess if you are a candidate since each surgery and scar is unique.  I have had many patients who have had Coolsculpting with fantastic results for bulges and irregularities as a result of surgery.  Please consult an expert for this advanced technique.  Best, Dr. Green

CoolSculpting after colectomy

An in-person evaluation would be absolutely necessary to answer this question, and I recommend that your Dermatologist communicate with your surgeon regarding this treatment.  Generally speaking, I don't think the change in abdominal contour resulting from surgery like this would be treatable with CoolSculpting.

Jill C. Fichtel, MD
Columbus Dermatologic Surgeon