If gynecomastia occurs due to decrease in testosterone level, what food do you specially suggest to cope with the situation??

I am teenager . I have developed male boobs recently. But my penis growth is almost normal and most probably my pubic hair pattern is also perfect. My butt is also little bigger than males but tougher. What do you think-- Do I have a low testosterone level???

The Various Types of Gynecomastia and Ages

There are several common factors which contribute to gynecomastia. These include excessive levels of #estrogen, natural #hormone changes, use of recreational drugs or alcohol, medications and their associated side effects, and, various health conditions. Also, there are different types of #gynecomastia.

Particularly, Normal Gynecomastia is usually apparent in males between the ages of 12 to 15 years old. It is also common for older men 65 years old or more who experience a drop in their testosterone levels. #Normal Gynecomastia takes approximately one to two years to naturally regress on its own.

Adolescent Gynecomastia is hereditary and usually appears in 30% to 60% of boys between the ages of nine to fourteen. Many cases of adolescent gynecomastia resolve on its own as the boy grows into adulthood. Some with #Adolescent may choose to undergo surgery to correct the situation, this usually happens at the age of 18 or above. In severe cases in young boys, the physician and child development specialists will need to speak to the parents regarding the severity of the gynecomastia and if surgery is an option before the age of 18. 

Unequal or unilateral gynecomastia is not an uncommon condition. It is more significant when there are very noticeable differences between the two breasts. Usually, the degree of difference between the two breasts is not severe. Through a study of his patients, however, more than 80% of male breasts are not symmetrical, but the severity varies greatly from patient to patient. Patients should take this into consideration while examining their chests prior to surgery.

In addition to correcting the difference between breast sizes, the #areola often shrinks when #gynecomastia excision is performed. In more pronounced cases, the areola may even be larger. When the glandular tissue is removed, the areola #symmetry may improve.
The conditions that make up #asymmetry can often be corrected to some degree. It is very individual and varies for each patient. Every prospective surgical candidate should discuss this condition with an experienced plastic surgeon prior to surgery. The plastic surgeon’s role is to educate each individual patient as to the possible degree of improvement that can be realistically achieved in his particular case. 

I recommend that you book an appointment with your primary care physician and perhaps an endocrinologist if necessary. Your could have blood work done to investigate but there is not necessarily an issue with Testosterone when Gynecomastia develops. Characteristics of Gynecomastia will sometimes develop through puberty and then resolve within a few years. It may help to discuss this with your family Doctor.

You could book an appointment to meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon as well and discuss options for treatment.

All the best

Thank you for the question and gynecomastia is a response to elevated testosterone levels not the reverse and that is why it is frequently seen at puberty or in response to taking  testosterone.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

If you do suffer from gynecomastia no food or medication ,or level of testosterone will help to cure it.
How should I choose a surgeon? Choose carefully. The decision is yours.
Advice to assist in making your selection.Only a board certified plastic surgeon 1. Experience matters. Choosing a surgeon increases the likelihood that they have seen a case similar to yours in the past. Selecting a surgeon whose practice is focused on gynecomastia exclusively is also an indicator of experience. 2. Results matter. The more before-and-after pictures, the better. Pay attention whether the surgeon is confident enough to show multiple angles of the same patient. 3.Only gynecomastia Reviews matter. 4. Expertise matters. Is your surgeon recognized by the profession as an authority in the field? Have they authored books or medical journal articles regarding your surgery? Be realistic about your expectations. Also, revision surgery tends to be significantly more difficult than initial surgery.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Gynecomastia is seen in many boys reaching puberty and most of the time resolves by age 17 or so. However, it is a good idea to see your pediatrician and be sure that there are no problems. Also, check out the link below to an article I wrote about Gynecomastia, as it will help you understand what is going on with your body. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

You should have your testosterone levels tested and if you have any concerns you should see an Endocrinologist. Please understand that in most cases of Gynecomastia the testosterone level are normal. The treatment is surgical and the results are very satisfactory. 

All The Best !

Ajaya Kashyap, MD
India Plastic Surgeon