Foreign body granuloma formation due to silicone injections. (Photo)

I had silicone injections 7 years ago. I have not had any serious complications since then. I was only 19 and unaware of the potential damage it could do. After doing research I decided to have a MRI done last week. I have a question about it. I am wondering about the part where it says "foreign body granuloma formation or free silicone injections", does that mean I have granulomas? If so how long can they remain in the buttocks tissues? I have included a portion of my MRI results below.

Granulomas Due to Silicone Injections

Regards, Dr Carlos Alberto Rios regrets that you have been victim of the terrible practice of biopolymers.

For your information, in 1898 Dr. Robert Gersuny, Austrian surgeon, injected paraffin into the scrotum of a patient who was orquiectomizado (testicles removed). Here began the history of the injection of external substances to give volume to the face and body. This practice became very popular and now, there are whole chapters in plastic surgery books that explain how to try to correct and rebuild the serious effects of the application of paraffin. 

About your case, It is more difficult that the biopolymers migrate but they can migrate long time after the application, it usually migrates in the first few weeks in greater proportion. Now, in less proportion, the cells and the macrophages eat the biopolymer and transport it to other places, thats why it is necessary and urgently to remove it. Also you need to know that the granulomas are form around every drop of liquid silicone, but we need you to send us the MRI DVD (photos) for a better advice.

Please remember to be aware, do not let any permanenrt filler to be injected into your face, breast, buttocks, calfs, genitalia, etc. The safest way to increase buttocks is through your own fat injections or through silicone implants.

I hope the information was usefull, have a nice day! Dr Carlos Rios.

Options to remove silicone from the buttocks

We have had tremendous success in removing silicone from the buttocks in patients with permanent fillers. I would suggest early treatment with a trained plastic surgeon familiar with this problem. Best, Dr. KaramanoukianLos Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Granulomas after Silicone injections

You have granulomas in the area due to the silicone injections. This may  stay all life and  in the best scenario not go  from just  being simple granulomas. It's been 7 years and must know you could have inflammatory conditions  up to 15 years later.

Derby Sang Caputo, MD