Should I get filler in my lips? (Photo)

I am 45. Just had juvederm put in nasolabial folds and though it is still swollen, i am happy so far. i have some vermillion (sp?) lines above my upper lip, and think my lips could be a bit fuller. Would you recommend filler?

Lip lines

Sometimes filler can be placed in the lip lines to help soften them. I have even used a "touch" of bottom as well.

Lip Filler?

Thank you for your question and photo!  I would absolutely suggest some lip fillers to make them a bit more full.  Seek a board certified plastic surgeon and go from there.  Best of luck!
Dr Dhaval Patel Double Board Certified  Plastic Surgeon Chicago Hoffman Estates Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Fillers for lips

I think you would benefit from some filler in your lips. It can be injected into the body of the lip to increase fullness, or into the edge of the lip (vermillion) to define the lip better (especially if you get bleeding lines from lipstick). You can also inject the lines above the lip (smoker's lines), and/or into the philtrum to better define it. Best to speak with your dermatologist about the best option for you.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Getting Filler In the Lips

Fine, superficial lines can be ideally addressed with Belotero which has been formulated for such purposes. It is a smooth and continuous substance, not tiny particles suspended in a gel. Therefore, it won’t clump or bend light rays (Tyndall effect) which creates a bluish discoloration, resembling bruises.

Juvederm is a popular choice for enhancing the fullness of the lips. Like Belotero, it is also made of hyaluronic acid. But it is processed and cross linked differently. Because this molecule can hold large amounts of water, it creates a very seamless and hydrated plumping of the lips.

Ultimately, though results will depend on the overall skills of the injector. This would include the ability to apply the right quantity of filler in a proportionate way to best compliment the appearance of the patient.

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

Vertical Lip Lines ("Bar Code" Lines) Respond Well To Fillers

Fillers are routinely used these days to treat the vertical lines around the lips, sometimes referred to as bar code lines (aka lipstick bleeding lines and smoker's lines), which incidentally in the photo provided do not seem to be particularly prominent.

If needed, my preference for this purpose in my Upper East Side Manhattan office is Belotero Balance, since it possesses little to no tendency to engender the unwanted, bluish Tyndall Effect when injected superficially in the tissues around the mouth. In my Israel satellite facility, where a far greater number of regulatory agency approved fillers are available, I typically use Teosyal Redensity II. 

From frontal view photo provided, there appears to be a nearly proper proportion between the upper lip to the lower lip (one third the volume for the upper lip and two-thirds for the lower), so I would be reluctant to add any additional volume, except perhaps the smallest amount to the central pout of the lower lip.

Nelson Lee Novick, MD