Is under eye Blepharoplasty surgery fine for an 18 year old? Thoughts?

Basically I've had huge under eye bags for 5 years which aren't going away, no matter how much sleep I get. I've given this a lot of thought, and feel as if it will lift my confidence significantly. I don't think fillers are the best way to go as they will not work permanently, and could stretch the bags.

Under eye surgery

It is best to begin by visiting with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to see if you are candidate.  Though fillers are not permanent, many patients find them to work very well.  If you and your surgeon deem that surgery is the best way for you to meet your surgical goals, then you can proceed with treatment.

Is under eye Blepharoplasty surgery fine for an 18 year old?

Yes, you could probably have lower blepharopalsty but need photos to assess. Need to see oculoplastic specialist and best to use transconjunctival technique with fat repositioning. See following video and link.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

To recommend this surgery to anyone, you need to have the anatomic issues that are helped by surgery.

What is called an eyelid bag has many causes.  Some do extremely well with eyelid surgery.  Some benefit from chemical peeling or under eye hyaluronic acid filling.  Without knowing precisely your issue and anatomy, it is impossible to make a recommendation for a particular approach to address your concerns.

Eye Bags Treatment Options

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear about your concerns. Without photographs I would not be able to provide a recommendation but  it is possible that surgery could be the ideal treatment over injectable fillers depending on your individual anatomy, needs and candidacy. I would recommend an in person exam with an experienced surgeon to discuss your goals and concerns. Best wishes. 

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Under Eye Rejuvenation with fillers, lasers, microneedling/prp versus surgery

Surgery is one option, but usually a combination approach would give you improvement. Fillers, lasers, and microneedling/PRP can improve under eye bags. My patients try to get non surgical treatments to avoid surgery. We use PRP and stem cells there often. I suggest consulting with an expert to develop a treatment plan best suited for your short and long term goals. Best, Dr. Emer.

Possible lower blepharoplasty for 18 year old

An examination or photos of you would be needed to give you the best advice, but sometimes bags under the eyes can be due to hereditary issues and not due to aging.  If this is the case, it may be possible to perform lower blepharoplasty on an 18 year old.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon