How can I eliminate a small amount of loose skin on my neck? (Photo)

I am 38 years old and would like to rectify the small bit of loose skin that has developed on my neck, just under my chin. I have consulted with a few local plastic surgeons who have suggested such procedures as neck lypo or kybella. I am hesitant to do one of these because it seems like eliminating fat would just create more loose skin?? Are there any options for removing just a small amount of hanging, loose skin?

38 year-old with sagging neck

Thank you for your question and photographs. I would be best off making a recommendation based on a face-to-face examination but it appears to me that you may have some prominence of your platysma muscle causing small bands in your neck. The simplest solution would be to try Botox or Xeomin injections to relax these muscle bands and see how much improvement you get without any surgical incisions or surgical  procedures. If this is confirmed to be related to muscle bands in a face-to-face examination that would be my first recommendation to you. A necklift at age 38 appears to be fairly aggressive in my opinion.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Plastic Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Small amount of loose skin under your neck

Kybella or Lipo is not a good idea for you, as they are indicated for fat deposits there and you don't have that issue. At 38, you have developed looseness of the overlying skin along with some separation of the platysma muscle, the muscle that overlying the neck. 

You would do fantastic with a neck lift and based on your examination, consider a mini lift. You may be able to get away with just an incision under your chin, but if there is significant skin laxity or looseness, an small incision around your earlobes and behind your ear (mini lift) would be an option. 

Other noninvasive options would probably not work, but I will defer to physicians who actually do those to comment. Good luck!

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS

What to do about her neck

For patients in my practice to have your neck shape, I absolutely would not recommend Kybella or liposuction.  The reason is that both of those treatments are geared toward  limiting unwanted fat, of which you do not appear to have any in your photograph in my opinion.  The real issue in her case appears to me to be a sagging platysma muscle, because he see to little parallel bands of muscle right at the junction of your neck with the under chin skin.  In my hands, the best treatment for this problem is small quantities of Botox to relax the muscles so that it can flatten out and not form the bands that does.   In a few years, if it gets worse, Botox may not be enough, and he might want to consider surgical treatment.

How can I eliminate a small amount of loose skin on my neck?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures, facelifts and neck lifts over the past 30 years.  From the photos there appears to be some excess skin but no fat belwo the chin.  A small curved incision can be placed under the chin allowing removal of some of this excess skin.  This localized skin removal can be performed using a local anesthetic and has limited dissectuion with a quick recovery.

From the photo, the cheeks appear a bit flat in the front.  Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front.  Cheek augmentation using a dermal filler (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or with cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks anteriorly that will feminize the entire face.

Hope this helps.

Neck Skin

You are absolutely right. Removing fat from your already thin neck could potentially be disastrous and hard to correct. Were these board-certified plastic surgeons you visited?
The answer to your question would depend upon physical exam. This is because from your picture alone it is impossible to tell if that rippling is due to simply excess skin, versus the edges of your platysma muscle. The two treatments are different. It is simple skin, I would recommend some noninvasive skin tightening modality or laser. If it is the muscle edge, you would need an anterior platysma-plasty.
Make some more consultations, and make certain they are board-certified by the American Board of plastic surgery.
Dr. Subbio
Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon
Newtown Square/Philadelphia, PA

Christian Subbio, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Treatments to treat fat will make it worse

Treatments designed to take out fat will make your condition worse. This is due to skin and muscle laxity which would be treated with a platysmal tightening in the middle accompanied by a neck lift. It's best to see an experienced surgeon. Good luck!

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting Loose Skin in Neck

From the limit picture available, you appear to have a great neckline with minor loose skin.  Kybella is not good for tightening skin and you do not appear to have excess fat that liposuction would be used to remove.  With just a tiny amount of loose skin as shown, I would recommend you try non-surgical options such as thermage, ultherapy or titan treatments.  

Elimination of loose skin in the neck at age 38

A full set of photographs are required to make a determination about what is going on with  the skin tone in the neck. There are minimally invasive procedures tend give mini results. A neck lift procedure may also have some benefit. Liposuction of the neck  will only remove  excess fatty deposits.

Mini lift should help

A mini facelift can remove the excess skin from under your chin.
The side to side lift in an upward direction tightens the excess skin under the chin.

Necklift

Thank you for your question, traby. There are ways to address a small amount of hanging, loose skin. And you are correct to consult with a few surgeons and seek a list of all potential options. Please be sure that you are consulting with a board certified facial plastic surgeon.

Kybella is a great solution to loose neck fat, however, you seem to be a better candidate for the laser-assisted weekend necklift because it tightens the neck and jowl area with laser technology that can target the unwanted areas directly.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon