Why is a compression garment needed around the clock for so long? I find it the worse part of the recovery.

Mommy makeover Post op

Thank you for your question.  As every surgeon has their own unique set of post operative care instructions for their patients, it is always best to discuss any questions or concerns you may have with your operating surgeon.  They will be able to advise you and, if they feel necessary, amend the instructions for your personal recovery experience.
With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Why wear the post-op garment?

I have my patients in a post-op garment, day and night, for three weeks following the surgery.  Not only does it help decrease swelling, but it also limits the likelihood of developing a seroma or fluid collection.  Make sure to follow your plastic surgeon's specific instructions.  We all have a reason for recommending what we do.  Good luck!

Compression Garment Post-Op

Most patients will be placed in an abdominal binder to limit swelling, which they will wear the first week. There is usually a fair amount of swelling and the binder should be opened several times a day so that there are no pressure points. After the first 7 to 10 days the patient is placed in an elastic garment for compression to help minimize swelling over the next six weeks. 

Compression garments after surgery

Thank you for asking about your compression garments.
  • The need for a garment depends on your comfort and your surgeon's recommendations.
  • The purpose of a garment is to keep you supported and comfortable.
  • If they are causing you pain and discomfort, they are not working for you.
  • Please contact your surgeon for new garments, permission to buy your own after trying them on or permission to go without them.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Compression garment after tummy tuck

Hi dunndee,The compression garments will not change your overall outcome, however, wearing them will absolutely minimize your swelling. With the garments, you should have minimal swelling for several weeks, but without, swelling can persist for several months. If the garments are truly uncomfortable, check with your plastic surgeon's office. Make sure that you are wearing them properly and that they are not too small. They should be snug but not painful. You may also be able to switch to Spanx after the first two weeks if your PS is on board with that.. 

Compression garments

Compression garments are used to help with swelling as provide support to the tissues as they heal.  They should feel comfortable, and not constricting.  If your garment is uncomfortable the fit may be wrong.  Visit with your plastic surgeon for an evaluation of sizing.

Camille Cash, MD

The compression garment helps get rid of the swelling. The more you wear it, the better your results will be! Most patients love their compression garment so if it is painful, best to check in with your operating surgeon to see if you can get a different size or style. Good luck!

Compression after surgery

Compression garments can help reduce swelling and can stabilize tissues after surgery.  That being said, if you find that the compression is the worst part of your recovery, your garments may be too tight or not fitting properly.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon to adjust or change your garments to improve your comfort.

Robert Cohen, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon

Garment question

There is come controversy that exists about the usefulness of garments. If my patient was extremely uncomfortable with their garment I would consider trying a different one or letting them use it part time. Please contact your surgeon to discuss your concerns and follow their instructions.

Mommy Makeover /Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/Tummy Tuck/Liposuction/BBL

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon