What if you have complications after returning home from BBL?

Having BBL in Miami and then traveling home out of state.

Complications After a BBL. What If I Am Out-of-State?

This is one of the problems of having your surgery performed a long distance away from your home. All surgeries can have complications.  If complications develop, who is going to take care of them?  What if no one in my area knows anything about this procedure or its complications?  Who is going to pay for my care? 

This is something you need to address with the plastic surgeon in Miami before proceeding.  Make sure they have a protocol/treatment plan to manage this problem before you agree to surgery.  Better to plan ahead than have to scramble later.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Complications after BBL

I perform BBL procedures on many patients who fly into Beverly Hills from out of town. We recommend that they stay in Beverly Hills/Los Angeles for about 10 days before getting on a plane to return home. By this point most of the initial healing is completed and it is safe for them to travel back home. However, post-surgery complications are always a possibility. At my practice, I spend a lot of time with my out of town patients explaining what to expect in the recovery process and what to do if there is an issue. First and foremost, if you have an issue you should call your surgeon and explain what is going on. Depending on the issue, the surgeon will advise you on what to do. If you are experiencing an emergency, of course head straight to the ER as soon as possible. 

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Follow up care after surgery

You should follow up with your plastic surgeon if you have any concerns after your procedure. That is one of the difficulties with having surgery out of state. You can always go to the nearest emergency room if you have an emergency.

William Bruno, MD

That is y our problem and why you should have surgery near where you live - or at least stay where it is done for up to 2 weeks.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD

BBL and travel

Your question is very valid, and the answer is I do not know. You can follow in an emergency room or with another doctor if they are willing to treat you. You are better off having surgery with someone close to your home and if there is a problem he can treat you.

This is a very important question that every patient should ask before proceeding with the surgery. If a BBL is performed by a competent and experienced board-certified plastic surgeon, complications are quite rare. Make sure that you discuss with your doctor what his or her personal rate of complications are and your surgeons plan to address them. All doctors have a policy for helping a patient with a complication or a revision if one is necessary. Be sure you understand this policy before your procedure.