Will a graft like a columella strut make my columella straight or flat? (Photo)

Will a graft like a columella strut make my columella straight or flat ? Is it needed for rhinoplasty ? I don't want to lose the roundness of my columella or want my nose to project. . I dont want them to look straight . Sorry I forgot to post a pic on previous question .

Columella strut graft

A CSG is used to prevent tip deprojection in rhinoplasty.  This is more important in open rhinoplasty than in closed approaches, but is generally used in both techniques.  The maneuvers needed to change other parts of the nose can weaken tip support; a CSG prevents collapse.  The graft can change columella shape but it doesn't have to do so.  I think the answer to your question lies in a better understand of what else you want addressed in your rhinoplasty.

Will a graft like a columella strut make my columella straight or flat?

Thank you for your question. There are different kinds of rhinoplasty operations however we can divide them as the one that requires bone excision and the one that does not need bone excision. The main fact that we classify the rhinoplasty operations like that is that the results and postoperative period is associated closely with this fact. In the operations like “nasal tip correction”, “simple rhinoplasty” there is no need for a bone excision however these minor operations cannot be beneficial for everyone. The operation type is need to be determined by the surgeon according to needs of the patient. In these minor operations the rhinoplasty is performed with closed method. The bone and the cartilage tissues are not involved in the surgery directly. Small nasal bumps can be removed in these operations.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. The harmony between facial parts makes us instinctively recognize the beauty... without knowing it, without defining it, just a perception that surprises and captivates us. In this regard, I suggest perform a Closed Rhinoplasty (without visible scars) to treat the tip, base and nasal bridge.
With this procedure you get a delicate nose, better harmonize with your other facial features. Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Rhinoplsaty

not everyone needs a columelar strut graft during rhinoplasty. This graft is needed to provide tip support. It can straighten the appearance of your nose from the warm's eye view. The questions is exactly what you want to change about your nose. If a CSG is too wide it can widen your columella. Good luck!

Patient desires

The key to any good rhinoplasty is to first understand your goals, which at least for your columella, I now know - thus unless the tip support is weakened by other maneuvers we are doing, a columellar strut is probably not necessary. However it does not HAVE to straighten the columella if this is not a desire or goal, even if it was necessary for support. Maintaining your ethnic look with some subtle refinements is what I hope you're going for! Good luck

Columellar strut is not necessary

A columellar strut will only make the tip of the nose more pointed, stiffer, and more projecting.  From the 1 limited photograph, it does not appear necessary.    For more information and many before and after results of rhinoplasty without columellar struts, please see the link and the video below 

Rhinoplasty

Hello and thank you for your question.  I don't think you need a columellar strut graft.   Based on your photograph, you may benefit from a tip refining rhinoplasty. Your surgeon can accomplish this by trimming, suturing, and reshaping the cartilage in your lower nose. Cartilage grafts may also be used to help improve tip refinement. You may also benefit from a conservative dorsal hump reduction.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and not just a computer animation system. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Rhinoplasty

If done appropriately by an experienced Rhinoplasty Surgeon you can expect to continue to have nice curvature to your columella.  Be sure to consult with a physician who reviews your photographs and ideally who images your nose and demonstrates what he or she feels is a realistic goal for you.  Again experience with this particular procedure is the key . Beware of the surgeon who does not post many pictures on their web sites and make sure the post op pictures are consistent with your goals and expectations.

S. Randolph Waldman, MD
Lexington Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

It looks like you could benefit from a rhinoplasty to soften the appearance of your nose.    I do not routinely place columella struts in  my rhinoplasty patients.