Can I have breast implant removal without a lift? I'm 3.5 months post breast augmentation.

I'm 27yo female 5'2 103lbs BWD: 12.5 440cc HP smooth silicone. No pregnancy. 3 weeks post op- I am considering having my implants removed: How soon can I have my implants removed? Must I get a lift with the implant removal being that I'll be 3.5 months post op (I really do not want additional scars on my breasts)? What is the likelihood of my breast returning to pre op size and shape post removal if removed 3 1/2 months post op? Will general anesthesia be required for this procedure?

Implant removal

Yes, you can have implants removed without having a lift, you can always have a lift at a later time if you are interested.

Implant Removal

Yes, you can get them removed.  Since the implants have been in for such a short amount of time, they will look similar to pre-op.  I usually perform this procedure under sedation, not general anesthesia.  I recommend an in-office examination as well as a detailed discussion with a surgeon who you are comfortable with and who is a board-certified Plastic Surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Best wishes! Dr. Desai
Harvard Educated, Beverly Hills & Miami Beach Trained, Double-Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Short answer: much will depend on your physical examination ( factors such as degree of breast ptosis, current position of breast implants,  assessment of breast skin quality/elasticity…) and your plastic surgeons' clinical judgment.

Generally speaking what breasts look like after explantation depends on several factors such as: the quality of skin elasticity (the better the elasticity the better the skin will bounce back), the size of the implants used (the larger the implant the more trouble you may have with redundant skin), and the amount of breast tissue present at this time (which may have changed since the time of your breast augmentation).

In my practice, if a patient presents with "breasts in borderline position" or has doubts about breast lifting surgery, I suggest that they undergo breast implant removal only; breast lifting can always be done at a second stage, if necessary.

I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to breast implant removal surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes with your decision-making and for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Implant removal without lift

Your breasts will go back to pre-augmentation shape and size after implant removal. The best option is to wait 3 months before implant removal. I offer my patients fat grafting at the time of implant removal .

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Implant Removal with or without a lift

Yes, you can certainly have implant removal without a lift.  If at a later date, you decide you would like a lift performed, you can do it then. Your board certified plastic surgeon will give his or her opinion as to what would be the best option in your particular case.

Breast Imlant Removal (Explant)

The sooner you remove the implant the less likelihood you will need any other procedure, and the better the chance that you will not need a lift. There is no such thing as internal lift. Putting a stitch here or there does not constitute a breast lift.

Explantation wihout llift

In most cases, with an implant of this size, an internal lift is needed in order to decrease breast diameter and increase projection.  Sometimes with implant size of 330cc and below, explantation alone is sufficient.

Susan Kolb, MD