Average cost of a septoplasty/ how the average person goes about paying for one? (photos)

It's become clear to me that I have a pretty badly deviated septum, I'm aware that some insurance may cover part of the cost for the surgery given it is an actual medical issue, but in a situation where coverage is declined, how does the average person pay out of pocket? Do some practices offer monthly payment plans for instance? And what is the average cost of a septoplasty?

Average cost of a septoplasty

The average cost of a septoplasty is directly determined by the amount of time it takes to perform the procedure in an operating room, time monitored under anesthesia by a physician anesthesiologist, and the surgeon's professional fee  for the performing the procedure.  To make the diagnosis of a deviated septum requires a thorough examination of the internal portion of the nose by a board certified ENT/facial plastic surgeon.  A septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose, and is only performed for medical necessity to improve airflow dynamics.  A rhinoplasty is performed to change the shape of the nose, which must be paid for by the patient.  There are many third party financing options available to most plastic surgery offices. For more information about the differences between a rhinoplasty and a septoplasty, and our current price list, please see the link and the video below

Septoplasty (internal work for breathing) alone is always covered by insurance. I've never seen it denied. Cosmetic changes externally are not covered by insurance. The benefit of doing them at the same time is that the insurance pays the facility fee and some of the anesthesia, which means the overall cost would be less as opposed to doing them separately.

Deviated septum

If you only need surgery for your septum (functional) and not cosmetic rhinoplasty, then your insurance should cover it if you go to a doctor in your network. If you go outside of your network or the surgery is cosmetic you need to cover the costs. How you do that is your problem , save the money, credit card or take out a loan. Your choice. 

William B. Rosenblatt, MD