A few of the plastic surgeons I plan on consulting with have their own surgery center. I'd prefer doing a BA in the hospital.

The PS that have their own surgery centers, will they do it in a hospital if the patient wants?

Location for surgery

Your physician has privileges at certain facilities, and these are the locations where the procedure may be done. Most surgeons do keep privileges at hospitals, but may may not have blocked time, or reserved time, available, and will be given whatever time is left over that day. If you schedule in the hospital, you may find your time is late. Most surgery centers provide excellent care, and do carry lower infection rates since most infected patients are taken to the hospitals. Also, most hospitals charge higher fees to help cover the cost of very long and expensive procedures. You might want to discuss your concerns about using a surgery center with your surgeon.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation in the hospital

Many years ago all surgery was performed in the hospital, but over the last 30-40 years this has changed dramatically.  Procedures that were routinely performed with a 1-2 night stay are now safely done as out-patient surgery.  A hospital is a great place to have surgery if you are sick and need the resources of a hospital.  On the other hand, an ASC provides the safety of a regulated environment and the comfort not often found in hospitals.  The infection rates in an ASC are lower than a hospital and the patient satisfaction scores higher.

In New York, there are two categories of out-patient "surgery centers".  The first is an office based center.  This is an operating room which is based in the surgeon's office and is accredited as an office based operating room. The second type of center is a fully licensed ambulatory surgery center(ASC).  In New York, the ASC is licensed and regulated under the same Department of Health codes (Article 28) as the hospitals. 

If you really want to have a breast augmentation performed in a hospital I am sure that there are some surgeons who may do so, but the majority of plastic surgeons do not do elective cosmetic cases in a  hospital.  Please call some board certified plastic surgeons and ask their staff.  They should be able to give a quick answer.

Samuel Beran, MD

Accredited surgery centers are safe.

In the modern world of plastic surgery, the use of surgery centers instead of hospitals is incredibly common. I would urge you to make sure that any surgery center your plastic surgeon uses is fully accredited. Generally speaking, accredited surgery centers have an excellent record with regard to providing a safe, sterile, professional and comfortable environment for routine plastic surgery procedures. With that said, if having your procedure done in a hospital environment is of great personal importance to you, seek a board-certified plastic surgeon with hospital privileges who is willing to perform your breast augmentation there. 

Lee B. Daniel, MD
Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Do not fear private clinics

Thank you for your question! Yes, you can have the surgery done in the hospital. Most board-certified plastic surgeons have privileges at some hospital and can offer that option to you.  However, even though I have hospital OR time I strongly recommend that my patients undergo their surgery at my facility.Here is why:at my facility I get to chose who my nurses are, who my anesthetist, I get to chose what sutures I want to use, what instruments are best.  In another words I control the OR.  Plus, it's a cleaner environment (we do not have very sick contagious patients) so risk of post surgical infections has been shown to be lower in private facilities compared to hospitals.  In a hospital setting, I do not get to chose my Anesthetist.  And like you wouldn't want just any plastic surgeon doing your surgery, I do not want just any anaesthetist putting my patients to sleep.  They all can do it, but some do it smoother than others.  Next, in a hospital I have no control over nurses.  They rotate and I may end up with a room of nurses that have never done a breast augmentation.  Or at least not in a long time.And finally, in a hospital, the administration determines what instruments they buy, what sutures and supplies they use.  In my clinic I use more expensive (and I believe better) supplies.  The hospital gets the best deal... esp for sutures.  So many hospitals I know have  a contract with a suture manufacturer that in my opinion is inferior to the more expensive stuff... and we always have to fight to get a special order of the sutures I want for my patients.I could go on and on about the reasons why I love the fact that I have my own surgical facility where I determine what is best for my patients. If you are concerned about safety, know that all outpatient clinic in Ontario (for example) must pass a rigorous inspection process and must have safety standards and protocols that live up to the same standards you find in a hospital.  You are no less safe in my facility than in a hospital.
In Florida, the regulations may be different.  Make sure that you seek a board certified plastic surgeon and avoid clinics that just hire surgeons to come in and operate on their patients (they usually have multiple surgeons, they are run by a business not a doctor, you may not even get a consultation with a surgeon just some consultant)Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Hospital or Surgery Center for Breast Augmentation...?

I hate to stir up too much controversy on here, but since others have made unsupported, negative comments about having surgery in a hospital setting, I need to present another point of view.     I too choose to operate at one of my local hospitals, even for a relatively minor procedure such as Breast Augmentation.  It's always funny to me how Doctors who have their own surgery centers always try to convince patients that their surgery center is safer, because "there are sick people in hospitals" and "they might get sick too if they have surgery there".   That makes their surgery center sound better!  But....  the reality is, that's not true!      I have never, in 20 years of practice had a single breast Implant get infected!    And in 20 years of operating at this hospital probably only 2 infections, period! And, they were both in high risk, obese body lift patients.   This is in spite of the fact that I have performed the vast majority of my several thousand breast augmentations, as well as several thousand other procedures as an outpatient at a local hospital.    Yet, I have seen many docs who have their own surgery center bring patients to the hospital for washout or explantation due to infection!     Call me old fashion, but if I was having surgery and had a choice of Dr's office surgery center, free standing surgery center or the hospital, I'd choose the hospital every time!

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. There is nothing inherently wrong about operating in an office based Surgery Center. Be aware, however, that in some cases, non credentialed surgeons do so because they do NOT have admission privileges at accredited hospitals. Disking percent to problems, first being that they are not board-certified plastic surgeons and II, should a complication arise, you may require Care by another health care provider as they are not allowed to admit patients. I would ask your surgeons when you consult with than and make sure that they are certified by the American Board of plastic surgeons. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

Hospital vs surgery center

Dear EB,
 Most board certified plastic surgeons who have accredited surgery center, have also privileges to operate in one of the local hospital. So, I am quite sure that your selected surgeon will be able to accommodate you and perform the surgery in a hospital.
  I have been operating in my AAAASF accredited surgery center for 26 years and I can tell you that all my patients love it and no one elected to do their surgery in the hospital.
  Here are the reasons why:
 1. Cost of surgery is higher in hospital.
 2. Hospital is a place for sick people and you can get resistant  bacteria infection.
 3. Hospital is a busy place with many patient and errors can occur, while in surgery center there are only 1 or 2 patients at a time.
 4. In hospital, time is money and if surgery takes longer , the hospital and anesthesia will charge you more, where as in my surgery center there a pre set surgery fee regardless of the time that it takes . There is no rush and the needed procedure is done.
 5. In hospital your neighbor might be a volunteer , while in surgery center you have more privacy.
 6. Corrective procedure of surgery that was done originally by the surgery center owner, can be done at no cost or at minimal cost,  while in hospital you have to pay fully , at least , for operating room, anesthesia and recovery room. 
  So, as long as the surgery center is accredited and has safe record history, you are much better off having your surgery there.
              I hope this is helpful,
                                           Dr Widder

Surgery center vs. hospital

If you have major medical conditions that require specialists - by all means, go to the hospital.
If you want to have a significantly lower infection rate, and a staff that is plastic-surgery oriented, then go to the plastic surgeon's surgery center.  However, make sure that the surgery center is accredited by one of the major inspection agencies (AAAASF, AAAHC or JCAHO) and that you have a properly credentialed anesthesiologist or nurse anesthetist.

Breast augmentation location

You can certainly have a breast augmentation at a hospital instead of a plastic surgery outpatient center. I can think of at least 3 reasons why I do not recommend it to my patients. More cost, lack of privacy due to exposure to large number of people at hospital, and more chance of exposure to the exotic bacteria of hospitals. But you would very likely do just fine if that is what you want. Good luck.

Procedure at Hospital

Most surgeons keep their privileges at a local hospital. At your consults, make sure to ask if and when they do. Expect to pay a little extra to have it performed at the hospital. Their fees are generally a little higher. It will still be an outpatient procedure though.

Lawrence Bundrick, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon