I'm 25, with dark under eye circles. When I'm tired I have bags under my eyes. Can I have eyelid surgery? (Photo)

I heard that ha retain water so i am afraid of having permanent eye bags.Do you think fat filler might me a better option than ha...or it will be still the risk of having eye bags?Another doctor suggested an expensive tratment. To inject into my under eye area aminoacids and vitamins and activate the substances with a laser. He said the treatment will improve skin quality and get rid the dark color and also help with eye hollows.My doctor said that i am not a good candidate for blepharoplasty.

Doctor Answers 5

I'm 25, with dark under eye circles. When I'm tired I have bags under my eyes. Can I have eyelid surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
As you can read the expert posters think filler like Belotero Balance or lower lid transcend. blepharoplasty are good options. This VooDoo medicine of vitamins injected with laser activation is very unorthodox and could worsen the issue before improving it... 

Dark circles under eyes at 25

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You are a good candidate for softening the 'dark circles' with a filler, such as belotero. The darkness forms from the hanging of fat  which causes a shadow underneath, making it appear dark. Filling in the area under the fat will get rid of the shadow effect and smoothen the transition from your lower eyelid to your cheek. Other options would be to consider a lower bleph however, I could only make that suggestion after an examination. The fillers are a reasonable option that will give immediate results. I get wonderful results with fillers in that area with clients in your age group so its an easy recommendation when done correctly.
I have never heard about the laser activated injections so cannot comment on this. 

Dilip D. Madnani, MD, FACS
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 105 reviews

Dark circles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You have a fairly deep tear trough which makes the skin appear dark.  If you put some filler such as restylane or belotero into the tear trough, it will smooth out the transition from the lid to the cheek, and make the area appear lighter.  You could also do a fat repositioning blepharoplasty, but not sure you really need that at this point.  I would NOT go injecting substances under the skin that need activation with laser.  Have never heard of anyone doing this, so very suspect as to the science involved here!

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 31 reviews

Dark Circles Under the Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Dear Anyayynays:

Looking at your photos you look significantly younger than 25. 

I agree that you have a rather prominent tear trough at the transition between your lower eyelid and cheekbone, but it does not look like you have significant extra fat or skin in that area. The dark circles can be caused by shadowing in the depression of the tear trough, or darkened pigmentation in the skin, or from allergies (commonly called allergic shiners). 

If it is truly a pigmentation issue, laser would be helpful, though I am uncertain about the procedure you describe injecting vitamins under the skin and then activating with a laser. I have not read about this technique in the medical literature. If the area is bluish the IPL can be effective. If it is more brown or darker pigment a CO2 or Erbium laser can be helpful. 

If volume is the issue, hyaluronic acid fillers such as Juvederm , Restylane or Belotero can be an easy fix. 

I would be hesitant to recommend a blepharoplasty on someone your age unless there was a definite problem with fat or redundant skin under the eye. 

I would recommend evaluation by a board certified facial plastic, plastic or oculoplastic surgeon who can give you a good opinion on the best treatment. 

Best wishes

Dr S

Travis L. Shaw, MD
Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 22 reviews

Options for lower eyelid dark circles

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You are a candidate for lower eyelid tear trough filling (with filler injection). Another option may be lower blepharoplasty with fat repositioning where the existing "bags" (fat) is moved into the hollow area ("dark circles") beneath it.  Need to be examined in person. See an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 91 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.