Hole in Base of my Mastopexy Incision?

I had a Mastopexy with implant exchange 4 weeks ago. After 3 weeks my right breast started to drain serosanguinous fluid at the base of the incision. It has now opened up and there is a hole there. I also have a bulging area halfway down the incision that seems to look like its bulging from a stitch that gave way under the skin. I'm scared of it getting infected or opening up even bigger. It's been a week now and it's not getting any better and is still draining. There is no odor Or redness.

Doctor Answers 4

Incision Line Healing Problems after Breast Augmentation/Mastopexy?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced after breast  implant exchange and mastopexy.  Your  description is concerning given the presence of breast implants below the incision lines. Of paramount importance is avoidance of contamination of the underlying  breast implants.

 It will be very important for you to follow even more closely with your plastic surgeon,  who is the only reliable resource to you at this point.

 Hopefully, what you are experiencing is superficial and will go on to heal without  long-term sequelae.

 Best wishes.


Drainage after mastopexy with implant exchange

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The best person to help you is your surgeon.  It would be wise to have him or her evaluate you in the very near future.  This is the best way to keep a little problem from becoming a bigger one.

John Q. Cook, MD
Chicago Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 12 reviews

Drainage from breast surgery incision.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Don't expect any reassurance on line. This may be insignificant, or it may be a real problem. It is incumbent on you to be seen by your surgeon. Only an in person exam can establish the nature of the problem and its proper treatment. Best wishes.

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

You should see your surgeon immediately

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Any situation like this warrants calling your surgeon immediately.  You may need antibiotics or a minor surgery to close the wound.  Please give your surgeon a call as soon as you can.


Shim Ching, MD
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 51 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.