I'm 7 weeks from a Tummy tuck but I'm still swollen and feel some numbness. Is it still too early? Is it normal? (photo)

Numbness and swellin

This is not abnormal.The resolution of swelling and feeling will vary from one patient to the next.Sit tight.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

I'm 7 weeks from a Tummy tuck

The tightness, swelling, numbness, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 4-6 months to see results. Your scars will also flatten and fade but usually takes 9-12 months. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. You appear to be healing well so far. Hope this helps. Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Yes is completely normal to feel swollen and numbness 7 weeks post TT.

You will be swollen at least for 4 months, and then it will begin to get less and less swollen till it goes away.

You may use linfatic massage and ultrasound to improve your discomfort.

Always ask your surgeon first.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Tummy tuck post op. Some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. 

With 7 weeks is usually normal to have swelling. 
To reduce it, I recommend you perform daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the abdomen and wear a postoperative girdle from thigh to the breasts.

Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.- 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

I'm 7 weeks from a Tummy tuck but I'm still swollen and feel some numbness

Thank you for the question. You are still in the early stages of the healing process. Healing from surgery will take time. In the initial phase after surgery, within the first three months, there is a period of inflammation and scarring that must occur in order for you to heal. The surgical areas will typically appear as swollen, "lumpy/bumpy", feel tender, firm, etc. Over ensuing months these processes will subside and the inflammatory process gives way to scar softening and remodeling. It is during this time that you will start to see your results appear as the swelling dissipates and the soft tissues soften. I tell my patients that they will not see their final results for at least to 6 months.

At this point I would recommend to continue close follow up with your plastic surgeon. I hope this helps. Best wishes

Still swollen and numb almost 2 months after tummy tuck

At this point, you are still very early in the healing process.  It is normal for you to get periodic episodes of swelling for 6-12 months after surgery, though most should be resolved at about 6 months out.  Also, the numbness will continue to change and resolve for 12 months out from surgery.  Any numbness you have after a year is likely to be permanent.  Sounds like you are doing great so far.  Best of luck with your continued recovery!

Jeffrey A. Sweat, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and numbness after tummy tuck are normal.

Dear Jayain4.  Thanks for your question and photo.  Based on the limited view of your photo, it seems like you are healing well from tummy tuck.  You do have some swelling in the lower abdomen.  Swelling (especially in the lower abdomen and mons) and lower abdominal numbness are common after tummy tuck.  Because fluid pulls down with gravity, you would notice more swelling in the dependent area.  Your tummy tuck result can improved over a course of 3-4 months.  Please be patient and follow your plastic surgeon's post-operative advices. Best wishes!

I'm 7 weeks from a Tummy tuck but I'm still swollen and feel some numbness. Is it still too early? Is it normal?

Yes, longer-term swelling after tummy tuck surgery is not uncommon; swelling may persist for many months and even up to one year after the procedure is performed. Often, patients will report that the swelling increases as their activity level increases and gets worse later on in the day. Sometimes, the use of compressive garments may be helpful to control the edema.

I would suggest that you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon, who will be in the best position to assess your situation and provide you with specific recommendations. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.

Thank you for your question, and photograph, and congratulations on your successful tummy tuck surgery!  Depending on the type of tummy tuck you had performed, and whether liposuction was also used, it would still be common to see some swelling at 7 weeks.  Overall, however, your swelling should have been improving since surgery.  The numbness occurs due to the stretching of the nerves in the skin that was pulled down to tighten your stomach.  This typically resolves spontaneously but may take several months to completely return.  Occasionally a small area of numbness below your belly button and above your incision may persist.  Be sure to follow up with your surgeon, they can further reassure you that you are healing appropriately. 

YES very normal at this early healing stage. Best to have close follow up with your chosen surgeon, like 2x's a week....