Tummy tuck or liposuction? (Photo)

I had three kids in five years ...my stomach is not flat anymore . I definitely want to get a breast augmentation for my saggy breasts but my question is : will I benefit from Liposuction in my abdomen ? I am absolutely deathly afraid of a TT and dread even thinking about doing it. I always look 3 months pregnant. I don't have loose skin it's like I can feel fat in my belly, it's firm. Is this diastasis recti, meaning my only option for a good result would be a tummy tuck? 18 months Post partum

Diastasis Recti

Thank you for the question and photos. It does appear that you likely have a diastasis recti. If you have minimal excess skin and fat, a FAB or floating Abdominoplasty could be appropriate for you. In person consultation is necessary to determine the best approach to meet your needs. A floating Abdominoplasty would allow your surgeon to repair the muscle separation all the way up, remove just a small amount of excess skin and leave you with a much smaller scar than a typical Full Tummy Tuck. The belly button is shifted just slightly downward with this technique.

I recommend that you book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon experienced in this area.

All the best

Diastasis recti

I’m afraid that it looks like you do have diastasis recti based on your photo, since your stomach does protrude excessively. A tummy tuck would be effective in repairing this. Liposuction will not correct this.

Tummy tuck candidate

Thank you for your question. You appear to have muscle separation after childbirth which makes you a good candidate for a tummy tuck surgery. Tummy tuck, also know as abdominoplasty, is a procedure to remove excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen and to restore the weakened abdominal wall, giving a firmer and smoother appearance.  We nearly always add liposuction to our tummy tucks to sculpt the body 360 degrees to achieve an ideal feminine figure.  Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Do you need a tummy tuck?

After examining your photos, it seems that your main problem is the diastasis, or muscle separation, that you have developed after childbearing. This can only be fixed with a surgical approach and liposuction will not help you. This can be done through a small C-section type scar just above the pubis.  It appears that you may or may not need any skin removed at all after this is performed. Please have a board-certified plastic surgeon evaluate you personally before making your final decision. Good luck. 

Erez Sternberg, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

TT or Liposuction?

Far more important than deciding if TT is for you is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let him explain why one technique may be better than another and if you need a tummy tuck. Many board certified plastic surgeons provide a free first time consult and you should take advantage of that! See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for you!

Tummytuck or Liposuction?

Hard to say without physical exam, but it appears that your muscle weakness after 3 kids is causing your problem, and liposuction would not help much. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to help navigate your options. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

Thank you for your question in photo.

Please, please see an experienced, ethical board certified plastic surgeon and possibly her primary care doctor for a good abdominal examination.

The protrusio Brents of your abdomen is most likely due to protrusion of your intra-abdominal organs and a diagnosis must first be established before surgery is considered.  It is possible that she have a widely split rectus muscle which is allowing the abdominal contents to protrude.  If this is the case then a full tummy tuck with muscle repair may be indicated.

Do not even consider liposuction because of the protrusio Brents the risk of intra-abdominal injury during liposuction is significant.

Tummy tuck or liposuction?

Thank you for your question. you are good candidate for Lipoabdomenalpalsy Recently invented Nutational Infrasonic Liposclupture (NIL) system developed for solving several problems related with prior techniques using surgical incisions to remove excess fat tissue resulting in prolonged operation time, need of general anesthesia, more tissue damage, bleeding, higher complication rate, prolonged healing period and scarring. It is especially affective in difficult and large areas like the abdomen, buttocks, back, upper arms thighs and knees and in such areas superior to Laser Lipolysis System which is designed to be applied in gentle parts of body. In NIL technique, a cannula having fluctuation, rotation, and vibration movements creating ultrasonic waves allows removing fat tissue gently and safely without harming any other tissues. 

Tummy tuck

It looks like you would benefit from a full tummy tuck.  Best to be seen in person to be properly evaluated.

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question.

In this regard, I recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD