Tummy tuck or lipo - which is right for me? (Photo)

Hello I am a 29year old mother of two. I am going for a Bbl with liposculpting in late Oct. My question is, how do i know if a Tummy tuck is right for me in addition to the lipo or will the lipo alone take care of my problem? I dont have any sagging skin but feel like maybe I do need a Tummy tuck since my doc is recommending it.

Tummy Tuck with Liposuction

Thank you for your question and for sharing a photo. You seem to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck. If you opt for liposuction alone, the removal of fat will leave you with some abdominal loose skin and will do nothing to reattach the muscles that loosen during pregnancy. A lateral tension abdominoplasty tummy tuck paired with liposuction will give you a flat tummy and contoured waistline. You should work with a board certified plastic surgeon with expertise in these areas. 

Tummy tuck or liposuctioning

Thanks for the question.  I must say that your photo does not show an abundance of abdominal skin, but certainly show a weakness to the abdominal muscles. This could qualify you for a good candidate for a tummy tuck, combined with a limited amount of liposuctioning.  You might see a very firm, contoured abdomen, even if the traditional  cirumumbilical incision created with a full tummy tuck might not be able to be pulled all of the way down to the pelvic hairline incision that would be made.  This small trade off should allow you to have a very contoured abdomen.  This may justify a second opinion from a board certified Plastic Surgeon to fully examine you and  appropriately make an educated recommendation.
Good luck to you.
Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck, some advices:

Thanks for the question.In this regard, I'm totally agree with you, therefore i recommend you a Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour. Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

It really depends on the look you are after.  From your front view, If you did liposuction circumferentially and used the fat for buttock grafting you could improve your abdominal contour nicely; however, you not get a flat tummy since part of the bulge is due to musculofascial laxity from pregnancy.  You would obtain a fat tummy with a tummy tuck and the muscle plication that is included.  It is a matter of personal taste, but you should do fine with only the liposuction and avoid the tummy tuck scar.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

Tummy tuck or lipo - which is right for me?

Hello Dear, thank you so much for your questions and picture. Acoording with your pictures you would be an excelent candidate to Tummy Tuck, because as I see in your pictures when the doctor makes you a Liposuction, your skin would be more flaccid, that´s why the great procedure for you would be  a Tummy Tuck. Also you have to be carefull to choose your surgeon, this should be a Certified one!

Ramon Morales, MD

Liposuction or tummy tuck

If you have already consulted a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and are scheduled to undergo the procedure, make sure to ask about the possibilities of having the liposuction performed with a modality that would include using Vaser Assisted Liposuction.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. From the photo you posted you appear to have abdominal muscle laxit.  A tummy tuck will restore the weakened abdominal wall, giving it a firmer and smoother appearance. We nearly always add liposuction to our tummy tucks to sculpt the body 360 degrees to achieve an ideal feminine figure.  The fat grafted is then transferred to the buttocks to create the shape we have planned together.  That said, you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Best is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Based on your photos but without an examination, you appear to be a good candidate for a  full tummy tuck and liposuction of selective areas. It is difficult to tell whether you are a good candidate without a physical examination and complete medical history. It would depend on your anatomical findings, motivation, realistic expectations, and whether you are finished having children. An abdominoplasty, either a full “tummy tuck” or a shorter incision modified procedure should be delayed until you have finished all of your pregnancies. Liposuction alone will not tighten the stretched abdominal muscles from pregnancy.
If a member of my family underwent these procedures, they would be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and the American Society of Plastic Surgeons. If you are serious about undergoing these procedures, you should have a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon having those credentials, who will fully explain what is entailed in the procedures, including both the positives and potential problems. You should be complimented on the fact that you are seeking valid information before jumping into any procedure.   Robert Singer, MD  FACS
La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck and liposuction

From what I can see in your pic, you would benefit from both.  If you are in doubt, go seek a second opinion from another board-certified PS.  Best wishes!