Tummy tuck incision red (Photo)

I am using the embrace scar therapy and removed the sheets for the first time since using this system. When I applied the sheets I had a few scabs on my incision. When I removed the sheets today I noticed a few areas were red. Should I be concerned? Should I leave the incision open to air and wait to reapply the sheets?

Red scar

I would recommend stopping the sheeting for now and checking in with your surgeon for advice. If there is any little irritation/infection along the scar, wearing the sheeting and occluding this can make it worse.

Incision red post op

I guess the best thing to do would be to leave the dressings off for a few days because it may be a reaction so let it settle down awhile.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Redness around tummy tuck scar

While it is difficult to tell for certain, the photo makes this "redness" look like granulation tissue.  Granulation tissue is what the body forms to help heal wounds when they are slightly open.  I would suspect that a very small portion of your incision opened slightly and your body is trying to heal it. This can take several weeks.

The Embrace scar therapy silicone sheeting may be further irritating this area, and I would stop wearing them until you have seen your surgeon for advice following a proper investigation. Good luck.

Kirsty Boyd, MD, FRCSC
Ottawa Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck incision red

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph. It appears that you have suffered a slight incision separation accounting for the redness.  I would see your surgeon for wound care instructions and would hold off on Embrace for now.  This area of separation looks healthy but it will take a couple of weeks for your body to fill this area in with normal appearing skin.  I would recommend applying an ointment like Aquaphor to this region to keep it moist and encourage faster healing.