Any suggestions on Tummy tuck after laser Lipo? (photos)

I went to see 3 board certified plastic surgeons , 3 in Miami and one on Orlando , the last one told me that blood supply after aggressive loser liposuction got cut off and my stomach area after I have tummy tuck would turn black and die , in other words it's very risky. I want to hear more opinio and my options about this. Than you doctors!

Tummy tuck after laser lipo

I would recommend waiting 3-6 months afterward to get a tummy tuck.  I cannot give you an exact answer without seeing you first.

Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) after laser liposuction

It is unlikely that laser liposuction could permanently damage abdominal wall blood supply.  I would recommend waiting at least 6-8 months after the laser/lipo procedure, but would not have concerns about a tummy tuck after that time.  Be sure to consult a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has some experience with this operation. You can gauge his/her expertise by looking at a portfolio of his/her work.

TT post laser lipo

There is no question you have some scar tissue from the lipo so the risks of a tummy tuck might be increased but you could have one.Certainly NO smoking.See a board certified plastic surgeon. 

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Sorry, what they told you is absolutely true.

Any kind of  aggressive  Lipo, Laser or not, compromised the blood supply of the skin and the raising of the flap in a Tummy Tuck also compromised the blood supply of the skin so you can imagine that you will have very high risk of skin necrosis (dead of the skin).

Also a Tummy Tuck will generate a "big retraction" of the flap not allowing the surgeon to pull down the skin.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Tummy tuck after laser liposuction

It is possible for you to have a tummy tuck after laser liposuction. Having said that, from the picture that you provided, a tummy tuck may not be the best option for you. Nothing can compare with having a face-to-face consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. If you haven't met one who explains everything to the best of your understanding, keep looking! I recommend a secondary laser liposuction procedure with more sculpting for you.

Thank you for your question and for sharing your picture!

Melinda Lacerna, MD FACS

Tummy tuck risky after laser lipo

Online opinions are of limited value in cases like yours, because assessment of the tissue requires an in-person exam. The picture shows the type of irregularities that can occur from scarring with laser lipo and in that case it can be very risky to do a tummy tuck. The surgeons who have examined you are in the best position to advise.

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck after laser Lipo?

Your photo- is not the best. I would need the laser operative/ procedure report in order to determine the levels of energy of the laser imparted to your skin. If the settings were mild and therefore the damage minimal- then it will be safe to proceed with a full abdominoplasty.

Your doctor is right

You are lucky to have only this much damage from laser liposuction.   Your skin circulation is not the same anymore. Tummy tuck will be hazardous.  

Vasdev Rai, MD

Complications after laser liposuction

Liposuction and especially laser liposuction decreases blood supply in the tissues.  The areas will be vascularized over time. Going back and doing surgery too soon could create a complication and wound healing problems. It doesn't look to me like you have enough skin for tummy tuck. I'm not sure if that would be the best procedure for you. I think fat injection to the abdomen and attempt to smooth and soften the area might be a better solution. But what you should do is wait as long as you can stand it before you think about a second surgery. The longer you wait the less chance you have any problems.

Wendell Perry, MD

Can be done

A tummy tuck after laser lipo can certainly be done.  You appear to have some contour irregularites as a result of the laser lipo.  This can be very difficult to correct and may require two separate surgeries including fat grafting and tightening of the skin with a tummy tuck.  An in-person consultation is certainly needed to decide on the best plan for you.  Hope this helps!

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon