Do I have tuberous breasts? (Photo)

I'm very unhappy with the shape of my breasts. I'm not concerned with the size, I'm a 34 b. I believe that I may have tuberous breasts. All of the research that I have done indicates that the typical corrective procedure for tuberous breasts involves implants. I want to achieve a natural looking breast that feels natural as well. I would like to avoid implants all together if possible, is this a realistic expectation?

Fat transfer instead of implants

You may have a small amount of glandular breast tissue pushing into the areolae and relatively wide areolae, but not so much of a classically defined tuberous breast. You actually have a nice shape to your breasts, all things considered. You could consider fat transfer to the breasts to give you a little more upper pole and medial (inner) fullness to lessen the narrowed look along your breastbone. Good luck!

Patient is concerned about tuberous breasts

You do not have tuberous breasts: your skin envelopes are even and normal without any herniation of the breast into the nipple-areolar complexes.  

Improving the shape will definitely require placement of implants.  You can expect spectacular results from this with nice, soft, natural contours.  Be sure to see a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, and insist on seeing a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures.  

The video link below has some good points for consideration.

Do I have tuberous breasts?

No, thankfully you do not have tuberous breasts.  Actually your breasts are quite normal-looking. You do have slight glandular ptosis or sagging and do lack upper pole fullness. A small breast implant should easily improve these features.  Fat injection is a possibility in view of the fact that you do not want to breast implants.  However at this time that injection is still considered a research technique.

P[ossible tuberous breast

I think your breasts are small but not really a classic tuberous could do some autologous fat grafting to your breast to increase volume and improve shape.This is a procedure where you liposuction fat from say your abdomen and transplant it to your breasts.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Do I have tuberous breasts?

Thank you for the question and pictures.
No, I do not think your breasts demonstrate any of the qualities seen with tuberous (constricted) breasts; there is a wide range when it comes to tuberous/constricted breast presentation.
Generally speaking, some of the characteristics seen with tuberous breasts include a very narrow base, short distance from areola to inframammary fold, tight (constricted) lower pole of the breasts, relatively wide space between the breasts, "puffy” areola and some degree of ptosis (drooping).
Generally, correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola. I hope this helps.

Chest wall issue

The photos depict a chest wall issue that it likely causing your dissatisfaction with your breasts.  Not only is your sternum raised (prominent); you are also 'low breasted,' which simply means the takeoff of your breast is low on your chest.  These issues will remain after breast augmentation surgery.  Breast augmentation will help fill out your breasts, particularly the upper pole where volume is most lacking.  An implant is a more powerful, more reliable way to accomplish this than a fat transfer using currently accepted techniques.

-Dr. Chike-Obi

Do I have tuberous breasts?

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Tuberous breasts exist along a spectrum of severity.  Though difficult to assess with only pictures, you do not have a classic presentation for tuberous breasts.   I do not see some of the more hallmark signs associated with tubular breasts: a "narrow" breast, an elevated or "high" breast crease, or breast tissue herniating into your areola. I would seek out a board certified plastic surgeon that can best assess you and make recommendations to help you reach your goal appearance.  If you are looking to increase the size of your breasts, it will be difficult without the use of implants, however.  

Do I have tuberous breasts?

While your breast have a short inframammary fold distance, you do not have tuberous breasts which have a much tighter fold, the breast hangs over the fold, and the breast tissue herniates into the areola.
You did not specify exactly what you did not like about your breast shape since you said you are okay with the size. If the diameter of your areolae bothers you, an areolar reduction can be done.

Do I have tuberous breasts?

The previous expert posts are correct. Your breasts are not true tuberous deformity. Implants are one option another is Fat Grafts to replace the use of implants. Best to seek in person opinions... 

Breast shape

You do not have a tuberous breast. You have minimal fullness in the superior pole of your breast and I think a small implant would make you very happy. Since you do not want implants, then tissue transfer may be an option, but you really need to sit down with a Plastic Surgeon, and discuss all options, pros and cons.
Good luck,