What is the occurrence of a second hemotoma in a breast augmentation, or infection after evacuation of a hemotoma?

I went in for my 2 week checkup and everything was amazing. I changed into the exam gown and within 5 minutes I developed a hemotoma, and went straight to the hospital where my implant was removed and the artery cauterized. There was 300ccs of blood drained. This was a terrifying experience. It happened so suddenly and without any evident reason. I live in constant worry, and although my doctor is reassuring, I worry about another hematoma or an infection now. I am 3 days postoperative.

Hematoma after breat augmentation

HI, I am sorry to hear about your experience.  But the good news is it is unlikely to happen again.  Make sure you continue to follow up with your plastic surgeon.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

It is unusual for a patient to develop two hematomas

Hematomas can sometimes happen and unfortunately this happened to you.  It is extremely unlike that it would happen again.  Your risk of infection is not increased compared to what it was before the hematoma.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

So sorry to hear about your hematoma.  The chances of it happening again is slim.  Be careful with your activities and avoid anything that might thin the blood--aspirin, etc. If you have any concerns, please call your surgeon.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Hematoma

Performing up to 500 breast augmentations a year for over 10 years, I have had my share of post op breast aug hematomas considering an average of approximately 1% . I have fortunately not seen a seconday breast aug hematoma and fortunately no infections in these patients…..therefore hopefully it is highly unlikely!!! Best Recovery to you!

David Liland, MD

Second hematoma

It is unusual to have the second hematoma. Please make sure that your activities kept to a minimum and that you have close follow up with your plastic surgeon. 

Hematoma post aug

This can happen and fortunately it is rare and in 34 years of practice I have not had it occur a second time in the same patient.I would be calm and no activity for several days.Just play princess.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Risks for more hematomas or infection

remain slim and try to avoid worry as it doesn't  help your healing.  Be careful with activities until cleared by your surgeon and always be on the lookout for any changes in your breast as you should notify your surgeon if you appreciate any.  More common than not, when hematomas are evacuated, the bleeder cannot be identified.  In your case, it was so it should be more reassuring that it may not happen again.

Curtis Wong, MD

What is this on my breast? Post op bruise?

I am so sorry. But your question is confusing??? Did you have one or two separate hematomae??? Again very uncommon for two to occur...

Chance of second hematoma after breast augmentation.

I am very sorry to hear of your experience.  I also understand your fear having gone through such a traumatic event.  However the chance of a second hematoma is very unlikely.  Your surgeon cauterized or controlled the bleeding vessel and it is very unlikely that she will suffer another bleed.  Infection is rare after evacuation of hematoma under sterile conditions so soon after occurrence as is the case for you.

I am sorry to hear about the complication you have experienced. Your concern/fear is certainly understandable. Statistically, it would be very unusual to experience a repeat bleeding episode. I would suggest that you continue to "take it easy”;  close follow-up with your plastic surgeon will be your best “resource” when it comes to ruling out additional complications  as well and/or reassurance. Best wishes; hopefully, you will be pleased with the long-term outcome of the procedure performed, despite the postoperative complication.