Who is the best doctor for explantation and breast lift? I have capsular contracture and want my implants removed. (Photo)

I want my breast implants out as they formed a capsular contraction around my right breast. I don't believe replacing is worth the risk, Id rather risk having natural breasts again as Ive found implants to be a pain in the breasts! Willing to travel. Goal=lifted, smaller areola is fine and smaller breasts that have a tear drop shape.

Best doctor

If you ask any of us, we will all say we are the best. Lol!   However, I would suggest asking your friends, family, and your family physician who they like.  You can also check with the American Board of Plastic Surgery for physicians in your area. Go to that physician's webpage and look at the photos.  Then, make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon and discuss all your concerns. Your implants and scar tissue can be removed, do a possible lift, and make your areolae smaller.  Also, you could consider fat transfer to your breasts should you want to be fuller, but "natural".  Good luck to you.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal

Thank you for your question. I would strongly suggest you find a board certified plastic surgeon. They would have the most experience in helping you with this issue. If there is significant contracture, it may be necessary to remove the capsule also, which can usually be done at the time of explantation. Good luck

Richard Wilson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Best doctor for explantation and breast lift

To simply answer your question... A board certified plastic surgeon - certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.... who has extensive experience in breast revision surgery. 

You can verify your doctor on the American Board of Plastic Surgery's website.

Implant removal

You desire to remove the implants is not unreasonable.From looking at your pictures you may not need a lift so I would probably just do a removal and capsulectomy and see how things settle and go from there.You can always get a lift down the rode but why get the scars if you really don't need to. 

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Presenting you other options may be your guide

While your concerns are very real, and your desire for permanent implant is understandable, options do exist for achieving your goals without implant. A small lift with fat grafting into your breast tissue and chest muscle may offer you the result you desire. I recommend consultation with a Plastic Surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. - Brian M. Derby MD on behalf of James C. Grotting MD

James C. Grotting, MD, FACS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Saline implants?

If you have saline implants, they can be ruptured and drained in the clinic under local anesthetic. This can give you a sense of your breast appearance without implants once the breast tissue settles. You can then decide if you want/need a lift. If you just want the implants out, this can also be done in the clinic with very little discomfort. I have several women who want to "wait and see" before adding scars to the breasts... this is required with a breast lift and usually is in the lollipop configuration. Slight drooping of the breasts may be preferred to scars. By removing the implants, the areola will "automatically" get smaller and you may not need to (again) create scars to achieve this.
As always, there is more than one answer to this question. Find a doctor you trust to give you honest answers, show you plenty of pictures and go with your gut (as long as they are a board certified plastic surgeon).

Breast implant removal

Breast implant removal along with removal of the breast implant capsule will allow your breasts to essentially go back to where they were before breast augmentation.  In doing so, the size of your areola will likely decrease since the volume is being decreased.  Achieving a tear drop shape with a breast lift alone will be challenging.  My recommendation is implant and capsule removal and allowing your breasts to recover.  Once healing has completed you can decide if a breast lift or areolaplasty are needed or desired.  You may be able to use your own fat (fat transfer) to increase the upper pole volume and provide a more tear drop shape at that time as well.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Following implant removal the remaining breast tissue can be re- contoured by advancing the lateral breast tissue ,internal mesh support and fat injections if needed
.
A lift can be performed with a circular incision around the areola  which will also reduce the size of the areola

Hilton Becker, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Who is the best doctor for explantation and breast lift? I have capsular contracture and want my implants removed

If you are truly over having implants then explantation may be for you. It is difficult to determine if you meet the criteria for mastopexy (breast lift) until you have lived without implants for at least 60 days. This will allow your body to return--- as best possible-- to its pre-augmentation condition. Once we are able to assess this- then you may or may not be a candidate for a breast lift. 

Who is the best doctor for explantation and breast lift? I have capsular contracture and want my implants removed.

I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons.

Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.

Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. You may also find the attached link, dedicated to breast implant removal concerns, helpful to you as you learn more.