What terminology is used to describe muscle repair in operative report?

My op report states that incision was made down to but not including the anterior rectus fascia. I see that skin was excised and the umbilical stalk was brought through a new window. I see nothing written regarding tightening or suturing the muscle. How would this be written in the report?

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

It would be described as diastasis rectus repair,  plication sutures of...or also, abdominal wall repair.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

Rectus Diastasis Repair

The typical operative note would include a description of the central rectus (muscle) separation and the suture technique used to restore the anatomy.  Additional descriptions may include lateral sutures placed to assist in waist reduction.  If you are unsure, try asking your surgeon.  Details of the muscle repair may have unintentionally been left out of the dictation altogether and should be amended if needed.

Randal H. Rudderman, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Tightening in operative report. Tummy tuck

This would typically be described in the operative reports as plication sutures of the rectus abdominus or rectus fascia.  It could also be described as abdominal wall repair.  It is certainly worth a question to your surgeon.  It may have been performed but accidently left out of dictation.  Or it could possibly not been performed.  

It is typically performed as part of tummy tuck and only omitted in rare cases that truely have no diastasis.

Dr. L

Andre Levesque, MD

Muscle plication during TT

Thanks for your question. We generally call this portion of the procedure, "repair of abdominal wall (or, rectus muscle layer, or diastasis)." If this were performed, it is a distinct part of the procedure that would have been specifically dictated by your surgeon. You may want to double-check with him/her that it was indeed performed? This portion of a TT is not always done, but usually it is part of the overall procedure. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon