I'm planning to get breast augmentation and abdominal lipo, but I'm afraid of surgery. What are the risks?

Hi, I am looking to do breast augmentation and lipo to my abdomen. I am afraid of surgery and has been postponing it since match. I really want to get this done I am unhappy with my figure but the fear is ridiculous

Hi and thanks for your question. Fear of elective cosmetic procedures is absolutely normal. You need to be able to come to a point where your desires outweigh your fear. Understand that anxiety and fear diminish as you become educated and informed about your procedure. Information is power. The actual fear will not go away until the day the procedure is done. The best to hope for is to reduce the level of anxiety associated with your decision.

Trust is key. Is the surgeon an individual who can earn your trust? Did he/she spend the time to explain everything to you? Did you feel confident in his/her ability to keep you safe and deliver a good result? How much time did he/she spend with you? or were you taken care of by a patient coordinator and and only saw the doctor briefly, if at all? Trust can only be established by being sincere and frank. Did you find him/ her to be that way?   You want to be guided along your journey by someone whom you trust. I have always believed that trust needs to earned by an individual and not freely given to the title of "doctor".  

After you have searched for a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience. Look at many, many before and after photos. Make sure that the photos that you are shown belong to patients of the surgeon that you are considering, not his/her partner or the clinic. Given the opportunity to view countless before and after photos will give you a very good idea to the consistency of the work. Are you being shown a few good results? The situation is analogous to the baseball player who hits a home run once in a while as opposed to the player who has a high batting average because he is consistent every time he steps up to bat.

You need to be able to speak with the surgeon's previous patients. There is nothing like a one to one sharing of info. RealSelf has done a wonderful job in allowing dialogue among patients.

How many years has he/she been performing cosmetic breast surgery? Do you want an experienced surgeon or one that has had limited experience?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthsiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications. Research, research and then research some more.

We are one of only a few in South Florida that employ a web based program called TouchMD. Through this program potential patients from as far away as California can upload their photos. I then review each and everyone and draw my recommendations on your actual picture. This info is made available to you with the use of a private password that only you will have. TouchMD is private and follows all applicable privacy laws (HIPPA).

I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful. Should you require any further clarification, do not hesitate to contact our institute. I answer all questions personally, not through patient coordinators or other marketing individuals. Dr. PG

Risk vs. benefits of a cosmetic surgical procedure

The entire purpose of the physican - patient relationship is to educate the patient about the risks, benefits and possible complications of any surgical procedure.  It is up to the plastic surgeon to determine if the patient is an acceptable risk and it is up to the patient to weigh the risks vs. the benefits.  As a plastic surgeon it serves no purpose to operate on a patient who is an unacceptable risk.  A thorough examination should be performed and a review of the patients goals and expectations should be made.  It is only through this process that surgery should move forward.  Seek out a plastic surgeon that you feel comfortable with and trust.  

Complications of breast surgery and liposuction.

is completely normal to feel fear of surgery. what is important is that you choose a licensed doctor and know the risks of surgery.Here I enumerate the major complications of these procedures:                                                  Breast surgery:                                  Post operative complications.
Like any surgery breast augmentation is not except of complications. These can occur for many factors that may or may not be related to patient. However (in a good preoperative evaluation) the patient’s hygienic discipline, both preoperatively and postoperatively, which associated with excellent surgical technique tend to diminish complications that may arise, which we know as:
Early Complications:
1. Bruising: although the risk of bleeding is low, if it is present, there is a possibility that warrants surgical exploration to locate the site of bleeding and drain the haematoma.
2. Infections, the percentage of this complication is low, but accurate antibiotic therapy can be controlled infectious processes, which in most cases are caused by germs from the patient’s skin. In severe infections, you can use if it is necessary the implant removal, tissue biopsy, sample cultive and broad spectrum antibiotics. In these cases there will be a surgery to place a new implant in a period about six months from the infected implant removal.
3. Wound dehiscence (wound opening): In rare cases the organism can react to unexpected or suture tension vectors and present opening any part of the wound, in these cases immediately comes to surgical closure or plasty with subsequent spontaneous closure (arrangement) of the scar. The end result will be satisfactory for the patient. Delayed complications.
1. Capsular contracture: occurs as a result of multiple causes such as the normal body tendency to react for a foreign body (in this case the implants) and infections. All patients develop capsule, some in a greater extent than others, when the capsule deforms the breast and hurts the patient it is necessary to perform an intervention to remove or expand the capsule. Capsular contracture is the leading cause for reoperation which globally series reaches around 5 to 7 percent.
2. Altered Sensitivity: a small percentage of patients report increased or decreased sensation in the nipples. This will usually pass in a short time.
3. Cicatrisation disorders: any patient reacts differently to an injury (wound), so that the healing process will vary between patients, even between different wounds in the same patient may be as a result of defective wound healing : widened scars, and keloid hyperchromic or hypo chromic. The vast majority of them can be corrected with topical medical treatment or minor surgery (in some cases), to the satisfaction of the patient.     Liposuccion.                            Liposuction is one of the interventions that have major complications, which can be avoided or reduced with a good preoperative evaluation that allows taking the necessary previsions on take caring and surgical technique that should be used, but also the patient must made changes in life habit routines to avoid the presence of some complications.
The main complications are: asymmetries and irregularities in the disturbed areas, blotchy skin and impaired healing incisions.
Less commonly, pulmonary thromboembolism, fat embolism and deep drilling plans.

Jaralampos Giagtzidakis, MD
Venezuela Plastic Surgeon

Afraid of surgery

Since these are elective procedures to improve your figure, you have to really want to have the surgery to go through with it. If and when you feel you are ready, a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in these procedures should be helpful in educating you. During that meeting the surgeon will first listen to your concerns, examine you, then discuss options for treatment. If surgery is an option, they should be able to tell you what type of results are realistic to expect and counsel you about the specific risks involved. In the end, you will have to decide if you want this enough to overcome the fear that you currently have.

Scared of surgery

Hello, thank you for your question. It is perfectly understandable, that you, and most people going through plastic surgery, become afraid and concern with the risks, which is good because you have to understand what you are getting into. Plastic surgery is an elective procedure, and should only be done under strict controlled conditions without pushing the limits, by doing that, the risks are minimal, but there will be some anyways. The best way is to talk to a plastic surgeon so you can know the risks and what to expect from your procedure. Hope to have been of some help, good luck

Jose Leon, MD

It is very common to have fears and anxieties when having an elective procedure. Be sure to seek a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and during a consultation the surgeon will explain the procedure as well as discuss all risks and complications associated with the surgery, recovery and what result you can expect.  The purpose of the consultation is to give you all of the information needed to make an informative decision regarding surgery.  Be direct with your questions and be sure to address all of your concerns.

Risks of breast augmentation and abdominal liposuction

Thank you for your question.  I would love to answer your question but it would take at least an hour.

Of the most important thing is that you consult a board certified plastic surgeon with whom you feel compatible and trust.  During your consultation the surgeon will give you a list of potential complications which is called informed consent if you decide to book.

Please choose your plastic surgeon carefully and make certain that all potential complications are discussed in detail.

If you are afraid than responding over the internet will "terrify" you. Best to obtain ONLY in person consultations from the over 80+ boarded Plastic Surgeons in Miami-Dade. 

Anxiety before surgery is normal. Usually, if you're medically cleared, healthy person, and your Surgeon is an experienced Board Certified plastic Surgeon-- everything should go smooth. But of course, any surgical procedure carries risks. Each procedure has its own unique potential risks. Bleeding and infection are common to all as are bruising and swelling.

Risks of Surgery

Thank you for your inquiry on breast augmentation.
Fear of surgery is quite normal.  It is important that you wait until you feel you are ready and comfortable for surgery.  
  • It is hard to inform you of all the risk with out knowing more information (your medical history, type of implant, medications, etc.) about you.
  • Since you have postponed surgery, I am pretty sure you already have a plastic surgeon in mind.  Has he or she gone over the risks with you in your consultation? Your surgeon should discuss all risks associated with your surgery.
  • If you are still unsure, schedule a second consultation with your plastic surgeon to discuss all risks.

Best Wishes.