Will this smooth out as I heal after a Tummy Tuck? (photos)

I am 3 weeks post op and i have wrinkling of skin around my TT scar. As I heal will this smooth out? Or will this need to revised by my surgeon?

Healing of Scars after Tummy Tuck

It may take several months for a tummy tuck patient’s scars to soften, for sensation to return, and for relaxing of the tight sensation in the abdomen. In the case of extensive surgery, abdominoplasty recovery can be uncomfortable and may take longer. Scars may stay red, become thick or widen. It can take 12-18 months for the scars to settle.

These can be improved with topical treatments such as BioCorneum, Scar Guard, Scar Fade and Mederma. Redness can be improved with laser treatments and the scars can be kept narrow with products such as Embrace.  On occasion, keloids or hypertrophic scars can develop and will need treatment including Kenalog, 5FU and laser.

If you find yourself concerned at any point about the healing of your incisions and scars it would be best to schedule a follow-up with your plastic surgeon to have the area examined for proper healing. Good luck.

An irregular scar after a tummy tuck

I think this area will settle down quite nicely. This may be accelerated by application of silicone sheeting. A typical course of treatment is 12 weeks. Every once in a while, a small revision can be considered between six months and one year of heeling.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Will this smooth out?

Thank you for your question and I can understand your concern, but 3 weeks is not much time as far as scar maturation goes.  I am sure your surgeon worked to make your scar low to better enable you to cover it with underwear or bathing suit bottom.  Keeping a scar low so it can be concealed sometimes pays that temporary price of such wrinkles.  Give it 6 months to a year and I think you will be amazed at how much improvement there is and you will be happy that the scar was kept low.  I hope you find this information helpful.

Thomas Hubbard, MD, FACS
Virginia Beach Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

A lot of the irregularities will settle with time. I would keep in touch with your PS regarding scar management and massage. You would not consider any further surgery for a 6-12 months.

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Early TT scar

In the coming months wrinkled appearance of your scar will improve. In particular if you apply pressure dressing in form of silicone sheets for 2-3 months. However, small excision of reminding scar may be needed occasionally. Discuss these issues with your surgeon. Good luck.

Zoran Potparic, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

Smoothing after a tummy tuck

Hi, 3 weeks is still very early out from a tummy tuck, so you should expect some smoothing. It is likely that in several weeks to a few months it will be resolved.

If there is some residual area of swelling, this can usually be easily revised in the office. 

Be sure you talk with your surgeon about this, as he/she can help guide you. 

Best wishes in your recovery,

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

Will this smooth out as I heal after a Tummy Tuck?

Although it is early in the post-op period, your closure is somewhat concerning. I would give it a full 6 months and if it is still dissatisfying to you -  I would move for the revision.