Scar treatment question for tummy tuck. I generally scar really bad!

27 days po. My TT scar line doesn't seem to have thick scabs (I was reopened on day 18 left side to be vaccuumed but that still has streri strips not trying to treat that yet) but my belly button has some scabs still. Areas with no scabs are getting purple.I tend to get intense scaring and rope scars.What is the best brand? Scar guard kind that you paint on or the hard to find strips?

Managing scars after a tummy tuck

There are a number of ways to manage scars so that you have the best chance of having nice flat, thin scars.  It also take a long time.  Your surgeon may have a preference, but options include taping, topical agents like Scarguard, silicone scar pads, or massaging.  As long as you do one or more of these and keep at it, your scars should do well with time.  

Palm Beach Plastic Surgeon

Scars post tummy

I really don't know which is best but doing something is better than nothing.Gel strips are good and creams are good as well such as bio corneum or mederma.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Without in person examination hard to recommend scar treatment options. For very poor healers I sometimes offer superficial radiation therapy in my office in 3 sessions after 2 weeks into postop phase. The costs from $3,000. It is called SRT Therapy. 

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your surgery! I am attaching a link below that has useful information on minimizing the appearance of scars and should prove useful. I do find that silicone in any form is useful for the overall improvement in scarring and your surgeon can recommend strips - Embrace - or gels - Biocorneum - based on your current condition of healing.  Best wishes for a speedy remaining recovery

Of the different types of silicone scar treatments, Embrace, which is applied to take tension off the incision line - will probably be the most effective.  It is more expensive than other topical silicone products but most of my patients have found it to be worthwhile.  Best wishes, Dr. Lepore.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

There are many different options and I'm sure your operating surgeon has his or her favorites. In my experience, I have found that silicone strips (like Embrace) help lessen scar appearance. Hope this helps!

Scar therapy

Since every surgeon has his or her own unique post op protocol, you need to ask your surgeon as he or she knows you best. Anything silicone based should work well.
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Tummy Tuck Scar Treatment

Thank you for your question. It is hard to comment on the specifics of your case without seeing photos. I recommend silicone strips or topical gel application to all of my tummy tuck patients to help improve the appearance of the scar. I have seen both of these options produce similar results. I suggest following up with your surgeon to discuss your concerns. Hope this helps and good luck!