Is it safe to use L shape for Asian rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I recently got rhinoplasty for asian nose and the doctor used the L shape silicone. He said he also used my nasal cartilage as a 'helmet' for the tip of the L so theres a less chance it will pierce through in the future. Is this correct?

Swelling , some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.

Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Asian Rhinoplasty - L shaped silicone implant

The L shape silicone graft carries unnecessary risk with it (migration, extrusion, infection). While it will provide excellent aesthetics in the short term it does not become incorporated into the nose and it is not a permanent option due to the risk of extrusion (thinning skin and becoming exposed).

While there is no urgent need to replace the silicone implant, it will likely need to be removed in the next 10-20 years, if not sooner. Since it is a foreign body, the silicone will not become incorporated into your nose and it will gradually thin out the skin of your nose.

Cartilage from your own body (septum, ear, or rib cartilage) will last permanently. However if you like the look of the silicone implant, ear cartilage may not be sufficient and rib cartilage may be necessary to achieve the same degree of augmentation and refinement.

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Asian rhinoplasty.

Thank you for your question. It is always hard to comment on another surgeons work. Although exposure is common after using the L-shaped Silicone construct, your surgeon may have a new technique. I would discuss his long-term experience with this technique with him.  

Best wishes
Theodore T Nyame MD

Theodore Nyame, MD
Charlotte Physician