No revision, no refund! What are my options? (Photo)

Had surgery 12/2015 and was not informed that doctor was closing his practice and moving out of state. Found out on 4/2016 at what would be my last appointment. Requested revisions on various ocassions without knowing he had no intentions of performing them because he was moving. It makes me sad that a doctor can be so careless and unprofessional about the outcome of his surgeries and jow his patients feel.

Doctor Answers 8

What should I do now? Revisions?

I'm so sorry you had this problem and difficulty with your prior surgeon. With all due respect, it's probably better that you never had a revision by that surgeon anyway. I see the track marks around your areola telling me that they use external, running, non-absorbable sutures around your areola.  This technique of suturing leaves unsightly scarring, which could be avoided with internal absorbable sutures. Had that surgeon done the revision, your resulting scar may not have been any better. In your case, I would encourage you to see a new surgeon for consultation regarding surgical scar revision. This would consist of revising the scars around your areola and the lower abdominal scar improving the contours and the scar appearance. This will cost you more money, but certainly worth it in your case. Hope this helps.  

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 32 reviews

No revision, no refund! What are my options?

Thank you for sharing your full experience and photographs and I am sorry to hear of your issues with your surgeon.  Though difficult I would advise you to move on from the poor experience and find a board certified plastic surgeon with whom you can establish an appropriate patient-doctor relationship and who can improve upon your current results to leave you with a more natural and cosmetically favorable appearance.  Some in-office scar revision work may be sufficient in order to get you closer to your desired goals.

Nelson Castillo, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 69 reviews

Scar revision

A scar revision would correct these hypertrophic scars both on the lower abdomen and around the areolas.  It can be performed under local in the office to limit the cost of the procedure.  

John Michael Thomassen, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

The doctor moved out of state and can not perform my revisions on previous surgery

I am sorry that you are having a problem in attempting to have revisional surgery by your original surgeon.  Have you contacted your original surgeon and if so have you asked him or her if they would be able to se you for the purpose of discussing what options may exist for you to have surgery?  Many times the original surgeon may be able to offer a revisional surgical procedure at a reduced fee.  Bear in mind that there is no stipulation that this surgery  should or has to be done at no cost to the patient, unless this was agreed upon originally by the surgeon and patient.  Surgeons certainly have the opportunity to move to another state if they so choose.  A call to your surgeon's office may suggest another direction for a consultation with a given local colleague who has arranged to see the previous patients of your original surgeon at this time.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

No revision, no refund! What are my options?

Sorry to hear about your problems. Luckily, a simple scar revision procedure for your abdomen and breast can improve your results dramatically.

Don W. Griffin, MD
Nashville Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 73 reviews

Options for revision

Hello and thank you for your question. I am sorry to here about your situation. Pt abandonment is unusual but occurs.

Your only options are to get a few, hopefully one consultation with a board certified ps to evaluate and discuss options with you.

Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 52 reviews

No revision since doctor moving out of state

Sorry to hear about your predicament.  You have every right to be upset.  Unfortunately, since your doctor is moving out of state, your options are limited.  If you write a letter to the medical board, it won't really matter to him because he or she will probably give up their license in that state.  If you threaten to sue, you would have a hard time finding a lawyer to take your case (unless you paid up front for legal fees).  In other words, most attorneys work on a commission type system for malpractice lawsuits in which they get a percentage of the judgement.  In your case, the money awarded would be so small,  no lawyer would care to take on your case. If you paid for your legal fees out of pocket, the legal fees would be more than the cost of having another surgeon revise your scars. Sorry I can't give you more optimistic advice, but sometimes life deals us a bad hand.  

Victor Ferrari, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 36 reviews

No revision, no refund! What are my options?

Sorry but revision is the only option. Best to see a few private practice experienced boarded PSs in seek a fee for TT revision and N/A revisions. 

Darryl J. Blinski, MD
Miami Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 174 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.