So many questions about septoplasty/rhinoplasty... Any suggestions?

I have a moderate to severely deviated septum, and I'm aware I will need septoplasty in order to fix it. Because of this, I have a pretty crooked nose and would love to have that fixed as well. From what I know, these two can be performed together? If that's the case, what type of surgeon should I look for to do the procedures? An ENT or facial plastic surgeon? Will they know how to do both? Also what should be covered by insurance, is a "functional rhinoplasty" covered by insurance? Thank you!

Hello

Septorrhinoplasty is as much a functional operation as much as a cosmetic one.  Both of these elements are dependent on each other and surgeons should not have one without the other.  If there is a functional problem with your nose, insurance may pay for part of your operation (usually the septoplasty). I recommend you find a qualified surgeon based on experience, word of mouth and before/after photos.

Kind Regards,

Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

A septorhinoplasty is very commonly performed by all boarded specialties, including plastic surgeons and facial plastic surgeons.  Insurance companies will typically only cover the septoplasty portion to improve your breathing.  To correct symmetry, in additional to a septoplasty it may be necessary to do osteotomies or correct your dorsal alignment.  This part would not be covered by insurance.  

Combining a septoplasty with a rhinoplasty

I would recommend a facial plastic surgeon who is typically an ENT surgeon who has had additional training in facial plastic surgery. As a general rule, the insurance would typically cover the internal or functional aspect involving the septum for breathing issues. The outside of your nose which is normally addressed in a rhinoplasty procedure is usually cosmetic in nature and not covered by your insurance as a general rule. It often costs less to do both procedures together since there are usually anesthesia and facility fees involved with the procedure. Good luck in your area.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Septoplasty/ Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question

Nasal surgery is a special type of operation. One performs it from inside to outside and upside down . Not only is this functional surgery but also artistic .In my opinion you not only want a surgeon who is well trained in this operation but also one who has an artistic background.

I like to listen to what the patient has to say about their nose. Then I like to examine the nose. Then I write up a plan for surgery. 

There are two basic types of nasal surgery.  One I call destructive Rhinoplasty here the surgeon removes bone and cartilage . 

I like to use reshaping rhinoplasty . Here the surgeon reshapes the nose by changing the shape of the cartilages by using suture techniques and cartilage grafts in addition to removing excess bone and cartilage . 

I incorporate the Finesse Technique. ( That I invented). It is not uncommon for my pt's not to have to take pain pills after surgery . For more information watch the enclosed video .

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Septorhinoplasty surgery

Please consult a facial plastic surgeon who performs this procedure on a daily basis and can address both your functional and cosmetic concerns

We often perform these procedures at the same time. Keep in mind that  Septoplasty only addresses the functional component- not aesthetic. If you'r seeking to improve the aesthetic look of your nose- I suggest you seek an experienced Board Certified PS for in person exam

Suggestions for Septorhinoplasty

Straightening of a deviated septum and the cosmetic changes can and should be done at the same time. An ENT or facial plastic surgeon who is experienced and devotes most of their practice to both procedures can do this work. Ask to see multiple examples of natural lresults in patients who had noses like yours. Insurance companies typically pay for correction of breathing problems within the benefits of the policy. My staff always helps our patients clarify their benefits with their insurance company.

Septoplasty and rhinoplasty procedures

A septoplasty is performed on the inside of the nose to remove obstructing bone and cartilage  in the back of the nose blocking air flow. A septoplasty is performed for medical necessity which needs to be documented at time of examination and consultation. A septoplasty will not change the shape of the nose. A rhinoplasty is performed for cosmetic purposes such as straightening the nose shaving down the dorsal hump, and adjusting the nasal tip cartilages.  Both procedures can be performed together at the same time under one anesthetic with one recovery period. A double board certified ENT/facial plastic surgeon can accomplish both functional and cosmetic procedures on the nose simultaneously. The functional component of the surgery can be billed to the patient's medical insurance, once medical necessity has been documented. Co-pays and  deductibles from the medical insurance will still  apply. Expect to pay for cosmetic component yourself. For more information describing the differences between a rhinoplasty and a septoplasty, please see the video below

Best to see a variety of surgeons: ENT, PS, Facial Plastic. Than determine whom you feel most comfortable with. As for insurance coverage, it depends upon your exact plan YOU signed on with and if this plan has restrictions (which most do today).  would plan on paying 50% of the charges just to be safe, i.e. $5,000+.

Rhinoplasty

A plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who offers rhinoplasty can help you navigate the process with a consultation. Many plastic surgeons perform functional rhinoplasty which usually involves a septoplasty to correct a deviated septum. The tip work is often considered cosmetic however. A deviated nasal dorsum can have many causes including trauma or a deviated septum and may require unique individualized surgery to achieve your goal. Best, MMT