Two questions: Will a breast lift make my breasts look larger or smaller? How much should I downsize my implants? (photos)

I plan on getting a B lift and exchanging my current implants (400cc) down to 255cc or less. Question one: does having a lift make breasts larger or smaller? I'm currently currently 34 DD and just about every bra I've tried. I'd like to be no more than a full 34cc. Question 2: what size implant? I plan on asking my Doc but i would also like other opinions here also. Thanks ahead of time for your opinion on both questions 1 and 2. Please my check profile pic if photos do not upload here.

Breast lift

Thank you for your question.  A breast lift will reduce the skin envelope while reshaping the breast tissue into a more youthful and perky shape, it does not change the volume. If you want your breasts to be smaller than what they are now then you should exchange the implants for a smaller size.  The key is working with an expert, board certified plastic surgeon to get the best plan for you.

Breast lift

a breast lift does not generally change the volume of you breasts, it mainly changes the shape and nipple/areola position.  I agree with your plan to downsize your implants and undergo a lift.  A 250 cc implant with a lift should give a a C Cup given your breast tissue already present.  

Size after lift and downsizing

You would benefit from a breast lift and your overall size will go down, but by how much is yet to be determined.  Keep in mind that your breasts will become more dense (like when you were younger- which is desirable) by keeping the same mass (weight or amount of tissue), but decreasing the volume that they take up (cup size). 

Physics Formula:

Density = Mass / Volume

The tighter your lift, the denser your breasts and the smaller the cup size you will ultimately have.  Communicate your goals directly and without hesitation to your plastic surgeon.  Bring pictures in of what you want to look like and that will help determine what implants are used.  It would be next to impossible to tell you what size implants to use without knowing what you want to look like and what the lift will do to your breasts with regards to changing their size.  That's why we place sizers into the breast pocket before choosing the implant.  Hope this helps.-JGH

Will a #breast lift make my breasts look larger or smaller? How much should I downsize my implants?

Great questions!  A breast lift alone without any removal of breast tissue will not truly alter the volume or size of the breast at all, however, many women will feel as if the breasts are slightly smaller after they are lifted and the excess skin is removed. They should also appear more full in the upper pole though!  If you are planning to downsize your implants, a good rule of thumb (but not exact by any stretch) is you can ESTIMATE about a cup size for every 250cc you go down (same is true for augmenting or going up in size). One thing to consider is whether you have existing saline or silicone implants, as older saline implants may have leaked some of the saline out and be smaller than when originally placed.  Please make sure to consult with board-certified plastic surgeons for best recommendations!  Good luck!

Megan Jack, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Changes

Typically, Patients feel their breasts look and fit a little smaller after a breast lift alone. In your case it appears that it would be only a "little" smaller. As far as the new implant "size", your surgeon is indeed the proper person to assess that after an examination and consultation.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Breast Reaugmentation with a breast lift

thank you for your question  A breast lift will not make your breast smaller or bigger. I utilize the Halpern breast marker, that I invented for marking out your breast lift. During surgery, after the lift is performed, I use a sizer. I'm able to inflate the Sizer to different volumes  to see what size implant will give you the results you want.  For more information please watch the enclosed video.

Joshua Halpern, MD, PA

Two questions: Will a breast lift make my breasts look larger or smaller? How much should I downsize my implants?

Thank you for the questions. In my experience, most patients who undergo breast lifting surgery feel that their breasts seem smaller, even when only skin and/or minimal tissue is removed. In regards to your second question, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary (downsizing) breast augmentation surgery (regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful.  For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or "down a cup size” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. 

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your chosen plastic surgeon to work with you in determining the best plan to achieve your goals.  Again, using as many "visual aids" as possible will help eliminate miscommunication.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to revisionary, specifically downsizing, breast augmentation surgery concerns), helps. Best wishes.