Ptosis or dermatochalasis? Confused? (Photo)

Can some one explain what I might have? I have extra layers of skin on my right eyelid. I acquired it as a kid after pink eye episode. I lifted the excess skin off of the upper eyelid and the eyelid is raised above the pupil all the time even. So I am guessing Dermatochalasis. Please advise.

Eyelid ptosis due to childhood illness

Although there are several possible explanations, including Botox (3% of the Botox study submitted to the FDA had unilateral droopy eyelid) this would appear to be true ptosis. There are several methods for correcting this surgically. The most likely cause was the infection which you had as a child which allowed separation of the levator (lifting) muscle which attaches to the tarsal (cartilage) plate of the upper eyelid. Reattachment of this muscle separation would restore the eyelid. Be certain to seek consultation from an experienced plastic surgeon.

This is ptosis of the right upper eyelid.  The muscle has been stretched so doesn't work effectively to elevate the lid.  You should see an oculoplastic surgeon who can evaluate your lid muscle to determine what surgical procedure would be best for you.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis or dermatochalasis? Confused?

my over thew internet dx is mild ptosis of the right upper lid. seek in person consultations for options in surgical repair....

Based on your photos, you may have blepharoptosis of your right upper eye lid, and scleral show in both lower lids.

You appear to have a droopy upper eye lid on your right, and a condition like this may be addressed by a reputable oculoplastic surgeon.

Your lower eye lid margins are both lower than your irises, so you can see white sclera below your irises. That is called scleral show.

You could consider starting with an ophthalmologic consultation, or oculoplastic surgical consultation.

Hope this helps.

Dr Joseph

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Eyelid Ptosis

You clearly have Ptosis of the right eye. The droopiness is caused by the muscle not functioning properly and is not due to an excess of skin. This can be congenital, due to trauma or other causes. You need to be evaluated by an Oculoplastic Surgeon to discuss the cause and the proper treatment.

David Schlessinger, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis or dermatochalasis

There is no question here.  You have definite ptosis of the right upper lid.  While there are never any guarantees with surgery, I would recommend that you see an oculofacial plastic surgeon for the best chance of achieving excellent results with treatment.  Good luck!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis or dermatochalasis? Confused?

The upper eyelid position is determined by the levator muscle. If this muscle gets weaker or stretches, the upper eyelid drops. That is called upper eyelid ptosis. (You do have that.).  The upper eyelid skin can stretch with time/age but that merely causes extra folds/wrinkles in the upper eyelid. Skin will NOT cause change in upper eyelid position. Eyelid ptosis surgery tightens the muscle while upper blepharoplasty removes skin. One can have one or both procedures depending on what is needed.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

The affected eye is lower positioned than the opposite eye by a few milimmeters.  Removing the skin on this upper lid will not help lift it. You need a procedure to correct the ptosis by addressing the levator aponeurosis that lifts up the eyelid.