Numbness in ear 14 weeks post op. Will it go away?

So I'm 14 weeks post op from face & neck lift. My right ear is still numb from mid ear to lobe. I have to look in the mirror to put an earring on because I can't feel it. Also, when I pinch the numb lobe I feel a sensation down that side of my neck approximately 3 - 4 inches down in a line from my numb ear. Will this numbness go away in time? Thanks

Numbness of ear

Numbness of the ear that extends beyond a week or two is most likely due to some inadvertent damage to the greater auricular nerve.  This can usually be avoided, I have found, by using tumescence-  the injecting of lot of saline to puff up the skin- during the surgery that assists in elevating up of the skin so that no damage to underlying structures can be facilitated.  Likely the numbness will get better and better with time.  Be patient.

Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numb ear post facelift

This has happened to me in the past.Generally this will improve with time but this can be weeks and or months.The tingling down 3 or 4 inches may indicate the nerve is regenerating.Sit tight.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after Facelift

It is not uncommon to have numbness after a facelift procedure.  It can take anywhere from 6-12 months for healing to complete, however, the numbness should subside sooner.  Please keep in close contact with your surgeon and notify him/her of any concerns.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness around the ear after a facelift.

Numbness on the ear and around the ear is common after a facelift for a number of months. Usually by six months most patients state that sensibility of the entire face is effectively back to normal.

Numbness

Hello lynbyk, 

Without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of any further treatments it is difficult to be comprehensive.

It can be seen after this type of procedure for the area around the ear to be numb.  I would discuss with your surgeon about the integrity of the nerve that gives sensation to the area around the ear.  Sometimes this can be stretched or injured during the surgery.  It is a known risk.  Often this regenerates within a year.

Dr. S

Scott Shadfar, MD
Edmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Numbness after facelift

It is possible that the numbness will resolve yet. cutaneous nerves can be severed during the dissection but many find their way back with time.

Suzanne Kim Doud Galli, MD, PhD, FACS
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon