Is it normal not to have any lab work or tests ran before Breast Augmentation under 40?

If I would need lab work what is Themistocles common tests. My doctor said since under 40 I wouldn't need any.

Lab tests

If you are a healthy adult with no medical problems then this sort of operation does not require  blood tests before

Pre Op Blood Tests

Most Plastic Surgeons will order simple bloodwork for all surgical patients.  CBC and PT or INR are typically done to make sure that your blood is normal and clots well. Over 40 we often check additional components like electrolytes and check heart function. I recommend that you ask your Plastic Surgeon about this and certainly, you can go complete any of these tests if you have concerns.

All the best

Is it normal not to have any lab work before a breast augmentation?

Thank you for your question. Anyone having a surgical procedure should have medical exams done before the surgery. The most common ones are: Complete Blood Count (CBC), Prothrombin Time (PT), Partial Thromboplastin Time (PTT).  Breast augmentation can give powerful results but SAFETY is KEY.  You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure. Good luck!

Labs and surgery

Thanks for the question.

All patients that are going to recieve anesthetic needs pre op labs. Be careful

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Most reputable physicians would order labs.

Most physicians would order basic labs on a patient having any surgical procedure to ensure something "weird" does not occur. It is standard practice among most reputable plastic surgical practices. It is strange that you physician did not ask for labwork. I hope this helps.

Itzhak Nir, MD, FACS

Preop Breast Augmentation work up

Thank you for your question. Many physicians differ in the requirements for preop evaluation before cosmetic surgery. In my experience, if you are healthy, have no medical problems, and take no medications then you would not need to have preoperative lab work performed.

All my patients have pre operative blood work performed, as well as an EKG with an evaluation from our Cardiologist. 

Franco R. Jacome, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

Every surgeon has different protocols but it usually is a good idea to have testing done to rule out any health conditions that you may not have been aware that you have. You definitely want to take a pregnancy test prior to your surgery to make sure you are not pregnant before you undergo cosmetic surgery and anesthesia. If you have any concerns or are unclear about your surgeons rules and regulations then I would schedule another appointment with him/her and have them clarify their protocol with you. Best of luck.

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Labs

It is important to have general labs performed prior to surgery under general anesthesia including complete blood count, coagulation panel, and pregnancy tests. Best of luck 

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Surgeons choice

if you are healthy and under the age of 40, pre-op labs tests are not required. Ultimately this decision is made by your surgeon and the anesthesia staff who will be putting you to sleep.