Is this possible necrosis starting? (Photos)

I had a tummy tuck and I am now 3 weeks post op. I had a blister form on my incision line the first week, which PS popped with a needle. That area is now a scab. I am concerned with all the area around it because it seems to be a different color than every where else. I am also concerned about the indentation area right next to the scab and have no clue why I have that. Please help.

No, I do not see necrosis.

Congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure.  Although your concerns are understandable,  I do not see anything too concerning on your photographs.   Minor areas of superficial separation, irregularities, drainage, scabbing and/or discoloration  are not infrequently encountered after extensive surgery such as tummy tuck surgery.  I  think that it is most likely that you will heal nicely and achieve a much smoother outcome that you are currently visualizing.   I find that in my clinical experience,  patients are much happier with the incision line healing process two months after tummy tuck surgery than they are in the early weeks post op.  Of course, scars will mature and improve in appearance over the course of the first year and beyond.
 Your plastic surgeon will remain your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment, advice, and/or meaningful reassurance. Best wishes.

?Necrosis After Tummy Tuck

Still very early after your procedure to make any judgments about final results, but it does appear in your photos that you have a small area of skin necrosis.  Usually with good care, these are self-limited and actually heal very nicely.  This is not an uncommon problem.  Discuss treatment and your other concerns with your Plastic Surgeon, and hang in there.  Best of luck.

Wound

You appear to have some minor wound healing issues which will heal likely very soon.  Always follow your plastic surgeon's wound care instructions.  Best wishes. 

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck - do I have skin necrosis.

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • I am glad things are healing well after your tummy tuck-
  • You do not have skin necrosis.
  • You have a small area of slow healing where you had the blister.
  • Thjis will cause the scars to be redder.
  • Things are swollen and not fully healed.
  • Ask your surgeon how to manage the scab - usually a bland ointment helps it heal.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS