Neck swelling continues 14 weeks post-op - is that normal?

I am 14 weeks post-op face lift & neck lift. My neck is still swollen & I don't have a defined jawline yet. I wanted to get rid of the turkey piece under my chin, but now when I put my chin down, it looks like I have a double chin. I've had 2 lymphatic massages since surgery but still the swelling in my neck. Seems like a long time to me.

Swelling post neck

This can happened especially if you had more brusing and or swelling on that side post op.Het and massage can help eliminate this.You are just over 2 months so I would give it some more time.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Healing after Necklift

Unfortunately, it is difficult to provide guidance without pictures or an actual examination.  However, generally speaking, it can take 6-12 months after surgery to be completely healed.  Please stay in close contact with your surgeon to discuss any concerns you may have.

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Significant swelling 14 weeks after a facelift is unusual.

First of all there's no benefit to lymphatic massage it might actually aggravate the problem is to vigorous. It the swelling is significant this should be reported to your surgeon is it might indicate in untreated hematoma or seroma.

Do you use spreader grafts more for cosmetic purposes?

Since no posted photos very hard to over the internet advise. Best to seek in person paid second opinions...

Swelling

Hello lynbyk, 

Without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of any further treatments it is difficult to be comprehensive.

3 months following your surgery there should not be a substantial amount of swelling where others (outside of you and the surgeon) could detect.

I would contact your surgeon and ask what is the next best step and to ensure you are on the correct path to healing.

DR.S

Scott Shadfar, MD
Edmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling 14 weeks post facelift

One of the more humbling things about the practice of medicine is that we can do similar operations on 10 different people and get 10 different results.  Anything can happen. Keep in touch with your surgeon.  If your surgeon feels perplexed with your results then perhaps you should ask your surgeon for a referral with another board certified plastic surgeon for more suggestions on optimizing your recovery.
Best wishes

Craig Harrison, MD, PA
Tyler Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and swelling

What you describe is not typical after facelift, but certainly possible.  You should continue to keep your surgeon informed of your progress and trust him to help with your concerns. 

Sean R. Weiss, MD, FACS
New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Neck Swelling Post Op

It is unusual to have a swollen neck like you described after a facelift.  Contact your surgeon for an exam ,so that he can determine the cause.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD