Is it possible to get my dream nose? (Photo)

I have a big nose. I would like a slimmer and pointier nose would that be possible?

Reshaping The African-American Nose

It is not clear what your dream nose is. But with the size of your nose and the thickness of your skin, there are significant limitations as to what shape and the amount of reduction and slimming that can be achieved. You would beed to have some computer imaging done to see how far apart what can be done vs. what you want really is.

Achieving Your Dream Nose

The short answer is yes, you can probably achieve your dream nose. The real answer, however, is a bit more nuanced. The first thing would be for you to decide what it is about your current nose that you don't like and what you would like to change. When you go to your initial consultation, most plastic surgeons will ask you to point out the things that you don't like about your nose. It is best if you keep the list short – perhaps 3 main items.

After reaching an understanding about what it is that you are unhappy with, your plastic surgeon can point out what the options are for correcting those flaws. Sometimes it is a matter of sculpting the underlying cartilage framework. Sometimes bones will have to be moved. And occasionally excess soft tissue can be removed. Your plastic surgeon can also explain what things are not possible.

The pictures that you posted are helpful. If your goal is to make your nose appear slimmer and with a more defined tip then I think that is entirely possible. I suggest you schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon or facial plastic surgeon and get started. Best of luck to you.

Al Rosenthal, MD
Lawrenceville Plastic Surgeon

Is it possible to get my dream nose

Your nose can be improved.  Consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam, and to discuss your options and expectations.  Best wishes!

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Is it possible to get my dream nose?

The areas that concern you can be realistically improved with an artistically performed rhinoplasty. You need to have realistic expectations about what is and what isn't achievable. No one can tell you that you can get your "dream nose" without a full consultation.
.
Keep in mind that following advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling your tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history and discussing the pros and cons of the operative procedure would not be in your best interest. Natural appearing results need to be individualized and what is appropriate for one patient is not necessarily the best for someone else. I would suggest that you find a surgeon with extensive ethnic rhinoplasty experience certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and one who is ideally a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) or a facial plastic surgeon (otolaryngologist) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, M.D., FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty

You certainly can have a rhinoplasty that can soften the nasal appearance, but there will be some limitations because of the thick skin. Good luck!

Rhinoplasty expectations

It is possible to reshape your nose with a rhinoplasty.  Computer imaging is an excellent educational device to show you what is possible.  

African American Rhinoplasty

There are well described procedures for AA rhinoplasties that include placing a dorsal graft, tip reshaping and alar resection.  See a board certified plastic surgeon to educate you further on these techniques.  Best wishes!

Rhinoplasty

The short answer is Yes - I would go to specialists who will take your photo digitally after a full examination and then have them alter it with your input till you see the desired result on your face and then assuming it is realistic ask them how they will try to obtain it. Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Possible to get your dream nose

It is possible to refine your nose and make it slimmer. To make the nasal bones more narrow, osteotomies will be required. It may also help to add a cartilage graft to the bridge of the nose to build up the height, which gives the illusion of a  more narrow nose. The alar-plasty procedure would involve narrowing the wide nostrils. The surgery would be performed as an outpatient surgical procedure under brief general anesthetic

Rhinoplasty for African-American nose

Rhinoplasty requires careful attention to individual detail: each face is different and each ethnicity has it's own particular cannons of beauty.  In your case the tip can be supported for a narrower and more refined look, but this will require cartilage grafting (probably from behind your ear).  Other possible changes will be determined by your own desires.

I have been fortunate over the past 21 years to have had excellent experience with this operation.  Be sure to see someone certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has had a great deal of experience with ethnic rhinoplasty.  Insist on reviewing a comprehensive portfolio of pre- and post-op pictures so you can gauge the surgeon's expertise as well as the types of results that are reasonable to expect.