Mastopexy with silicone implants, is this scarring normal? (Photos)

Had a mastopexy with silicone implants. Requested the implants under muscle and were placed under the fascia without being informed until after 6 months. The scarring is horrible and does not look like it was done by a plastic surgeon. Are these results normal? Asked for them to be revised but surgeon was not willing to perform. Very unprofessional in my opinion.

Mastopexy with silicone implants, is this scarring normal?

I'm sorry to hear about the frustrating experience you have had; it is clear, after viewing your post tummy tuck and breast procedure photographs, that your experience has been less favorable.

I think that there is certainly room for improvement with the breast scars;  the crosshatching appearance of the scars would be a concern to most patients.

At this point, given your description of events, you may be best off seeking in person, second opinion consultations with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate lots of work achieving outcomes you would be happier with.

Hopefully, you will be able to exercise patience;  once enough time passes, you may be able to undergo revision surgery to lower the tummy tuck scar  and improve the appearance of your breasts scars as well.

every surgeon has their own opinion and protocol for revision surgery. The rail road tracks are not typical of a plastic surgeon so I would wonder about the credentials of the surgeon whom performed your surgery. You can have the incisions revised if you have some skin laxity around the scars. As for sub fascial vs submuscular, some people think those tissues planes are equal, others do not, its just an opinion and likely wont drastically change anything or change your outcome much if any at all. 

Thank you for your question.  I believe I may have answered this before.  The scars that I see are from simple interrupted subcuticular sutures.  A scar revision with a subcuticular absorbable suture is likely the best option to correct this.

Scar revision

Dear Sally,

Certainly your result would be improved with a revision of the scars.  Perhaps request again with your surgeon for a better result.

Joshua Kreithen, MD
Sarasota Plastic Surgeon

Appears you used a surgeon whom gave you poor scars or 'railroad track effect' scars. Only revision can improve. My one question is was you chosen surgeon a boarded PS?

Scar Improvements?

There certainly appears to be room for improvement with your scarring.  The railroad type appearance is from external sutures that left marks while healing.  Using all internal, dissolving sutures would eliminate the marks and hopefully allow you to heal better.  I would go for a second opinion if your own surgeon dies not feel comfortable with revising the scars.  I hope this helps.

When you see stitch marks like that, it is usually because the stitches were left in too long.  You would be a good candidate for scar revision.  This could be done in an office setting with little to no downtime.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Scarring after mastopexy

Thank you for your question and photo. I'm sorry you are frustrated with your outcome, and can understand your concerns. It appears that exterior sutures were utilized as opposed to underneath the skin dissolving sutures. This has resulted in significant cross hatching and visibility of the scars. I do believe that this could be revised and result in a much improved scar appearance. I suggest you meet with several board-certified plastic surgeons who have experience with revisionary breast surgery. Best of luck and best regards.