Does Lyphedema around knees prohibit liposuction on knees?

I have lymphedema as a result of a vascular laser ablation done to my legs. I was hoping to have liposuction on my inner knees prior to this diagnosis. Am I still able to have it or is it not possible?

Lymphedema and Liposuction

It is okay to still have liposuction but expect to have more swelling and to need lymphatic drainage/massage after treatment.  Best, Dr. Emer.

A procedure that has disrupted lymphatics means that the drainage from the leg is compromised. Liposuction is used to remove fat and there can be damage to nearby structures including lymphatics. It is impossible to predict what will happen in the setting of lymphedema and things could get worse. Consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery is a great way to start.

Terence M. Myckatyn, MD

Liposuction - is it ok in an area of lymphedema

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

• You should still be able to have the liposuction.
  • However - tell your plastic surgeon and provide her/him with a copy of the report.
  • A lot depends on whether you have chronic severe swelling from the lymphedema and how extensive the damage is to the lymphatic system.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Lymphedema and lipo

Because you have some lymphedema around your knees should not preclude or prevebnt you from getting lipo.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon