For how long do the drains stay in after a tt?

Drains after tummy tuck

Every plastic surgeon has their own standard of when to remove drains.  I usually don't remove mine until the drain output is less than 20cc in a 24 hour period and when this will happen will vary amongst patients but you can expect the drains to stay in for at least 5 to 7 days.

El Paso Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Drains

On the 5th day post op, I usually see my tummy tuck patients in my office. Most patients have their drains and the pain pump removed at this time.

Best wishes!

Ricardo L. Rodriguez, MD

Drains after TT

Since the purpose of the drains is to remove fluid, you can generally get the drains out when the amount of fluid production has dropped off significantly.  This is typically sometime between 5 and 10 days post-op.  Patients who have had liposuction at the same time tend to make more fluid.

My rule of thumb is to get down to a level of less than 30 cc per drain per 24 hour period before removing them.

Drains post tummy

This is usually determined by  the surgeon.when th drainage is less than 25cc per 24 hours usually the drains will come out.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Drains after tummy tucks

will vary by surgeons as some don't use drains at all.  My personal preference is to use discontinuous undermining that is done with lipoabdominoplasties and one drain that is removed anywhere from 1-2 weeks post op.  You can shower with the drain and a certain minimum output must usually be reached before it is removed.

Curtis Wong, MD

Drains after tummy tuck

Drain removal for me requires a minimum of 30cc of drainage / 24 hours. This can vary from 5-7-10 days.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Drains

After a tummy tuck operation I remove the drains one at a time.  They typically come out at 7, 9 and 12 days.  

Drain time in Tummy Tucks

I drain all my TT and the time ranges from 1-4 weeks. I pull drains after 2 days of 25cc or less. Surgeons have different parameters for the use and time of drains. Best of luck

David Liland, MD

Drains after tummy tuck

There is a wide range in different surgeons' practices - some remove them after a certain number of days, others after there is a certain amount of fluid draining per day.  Some surgeons do not routinely use drains at all, but rather they get rid of most of the space where the drains sit by sewing this cavity shut (a "drainless tummy tuck").  In my practice, patients who do require drains usually have them removed by 3-5 days postoperatively but some will have high fluid drainage for a longer period.

For how long do the drains stay in after a tt

As long as the amount draining is more than 25 cc's in 24 hours, is my rule of thumb. Best to ask the chosen surgeon..