Can I get lipo done while on medications?

Hi! I will like to get a Lipo done but I'm under two medications; Lisinopril 40 mg 1x a day and janumet50/1000 1x a day.. Can any Dr. Give me an opinion if I'm able to get the procedure done in my belly area..? Thank you!

It's best if you speak to your surgeon and Anesthesiologist, some medications can't be combined with pthers during surgery.

Dr. Campos

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Hi and thanks for this very good question. I am very glad that you're putting your health and chronic medical conditions front and center before jumping into an elective procedure. I think that a well controlled diabetic and hypertensive that is under the regular supervision of a board certified internist can be a potential candidate for elective surgery. I would definitely ask you to provide a recent set of labs and a recent evaluation from your primary care doctor. Based on the report that you provide a board certified plastic surgeon can sit with you and explain all the potential risks involved so you can be very educated before you take the decision to proceed. I hope that helps your decision making process.

Rami Ghurani, MD

Medicines and lipo

What I would do in this situation is to have your primary care doctor evaliate you preoperatively but if those are your medicines then you should be able to ahve liposuction as long as the rest of your physical is normal.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction While on Medications

If your conditions are under control you should have no problem undergoing liposuction procedures.  Please consult a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in liposuction/contouring procedures.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Both of your medical conditions must be well controlled and you must be in good overall health to undergo liposuction.

The pre-operative evaluation before any cosmetic procedure is essential. If medical conditions such as high blood pressure and diabetes are under good control-then the patient is cleared for the surgery. 

Can Liposuction Be Performed On Someone Being Treated For Diabetes and High Blood Pressure

Since you are on these medications it means you have complex chronic medical conditions including Diabetes and High Blood Pressure.   You can usually proceed with Liposuction if:

1. Your Internist  Family Practice Physician or Endocrinologist (whoever cares for your diabetes) feels your diabetes is under excellent control
  2. You have a recent set of labs that are good
  3. Your blood glucose is monitored during surgery.  It must not go too high or too low.  Recent studies have shown high glucoses during surgery (greater than 200) increase the risk of infection.
  4. You understand you are a somewhat higher risk of infection overall
In addition, your plastic surgeon needs to determine if the fat is mostly internal near the mesentery (which can't be liposuctioned) or external (under the skin which can be liposuctioned).  Often diabetes leads to excess internal fat that you must lose through dieting and not the type you can liposuction.  If you have a large amount of internal fat often Bariatric surgery may be a better option.

Liposuction and Medical Issues

You need to be evaluated to make sure there are no other contraindications for liposuction of your abdomen.  Apart from that, if your hypertension and diabetes are well controlled, there is no reason why you could not get liposuction.  Best of luck.

Liposuction with Medications

Yes, you should be able to have liposuction even though you are taking these medications as long as you are a good candidate otherwise. The Janumet may have to be stopped depending on the type of anesthesia you get. This is something you need to discuss with your doctor. 

Scott R. Brundage, MD
    Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon