Do I need a lift? Looking to achieve an upper pole fullness. (photos)

Hi I am 24 and I have two children whom I breast fed for a year each. I am now a deflated 34A/32B. I am looking to get an augmentation in January. I am wanting to end up with a full appearing breast with upper pole fullness not as much of a slant as in a natural look. Would this be possible with a larger size implant. Also is there a certain profile that would help me achieve my end result? I really don't want a breast lift! Any suggestions? Thanks!

Breast lift?

In order to achieve perkier with breasts will upper pole fullness, it is likely that you will need a breast lift in addition to a breast implant.   It is great to have photos to share with your plastic surgeon that represent your goals. However, the photos should be before and after images of women with a starting point like yours with a result that you would like to achieve. Ideally, you can find several of these photos performed by the plastic surgeon you select. It is not realistic to expect to have results like a woman who may have a starting point very different than your own.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fullness Goals

There’s no question that being close to your ideal body weight improves the results from mommy makeover surgery.  It also decreases the potential for complications with this type of surgical procedure.  For these reasons we prefer that patients be within 10% of their ideal body weight at the time of surgery.

In your particular case it’s reasonable to continue to lose weight before proceeding with mommy makeover surgery.  This additional weight loss might dramatically impact your surgical treatment plan.  At this point in time you don’t appear to need breast implants to accomplish your aesthetic goals, but with additional weight loss this might change.  Under these circumstances an implant might be necessary to provide upper breast fullness.

For these reasons, it’s important to consider each case on an individual basis.  No two patients are ever exactly alike.  They have different anatomic findings, aesthetic goals, and social situations.  It’s therefore important to tailor the surgical procedure to the patient’s needs.

Breast augmentation without lift

Your best option would be a high profile implant filled to the top of the range for that device.  The larger the implant the more projection and surface area, which is what you are looking for.  

A lift is required but....

A lift is required but realize that you have a different body than the women in your wish pics.  Your breasts seem to sit lower on your chest (you may have a long torso) and breast lift lifts sagging breasts, it does not move your breasts higher up on your chest.  Your breast fold will not move up.  You can have rounder breasts and fuller upper pole but the implants may not end up sitting as high as some of the pics you showed.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for an assessment and understand what can be done.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Do I need a lift? Looking to achieve an upper pole fullness.

A lift will be necessary to create a look more like your goal pic.

Los Angeles, CA.

Upper pole fullness with lift

Many women refuse lifts because of the ugly vertical scars associated with the traditional technique, nipple numbness and the inability to breast feed.For that reason, a new technique was developed called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift™.Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant.Small round textured silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision.Implant profile is irrelevant in the retro-pectoral position since the muscle compresses it.

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Augmentation with or without a breast lift

Thank you for your pictures and question.  It appears that you may be able to have only implants.  If you were to need a breast lift, it out only need to be a peri-areolar lift.  

My recommendation is to have a in person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon.  He or she will be able to guide you best.

Good luck!

The simple answer to your question is YES you need a breast lift. In additon, you will need an augmentation to fill the upper pole. You can use either silicone or saline but my preference is silicone. This is the only way that you will achieve the desired look. You need to understand that despite using implants in conjunction with a breast lift, your breast will never look like those of a woman undergoing a straight forward augmentation. Your breasts will always have a tendency to reach that "natural slope". It is clear from your profile photo thatn you are at minmum a grade 1 ptosis. The type of breast lift will be dependent on the surgeon you choose. The use of much larger implants will not address your concerns.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

I wish you well on your journey. Good luck Dr. PG

Augmentation with a breast lift

Based on your photos alone and without the benefit of an examination it appears that you’ll need a lift in order to obtain the results that you are looking for. A peri-areolar lift may be all that is necessary and that would have less of a scar. After consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, it is determined that a lift is needed, then follow those recommendations even if a slightly longer incision is necessary. In the long run you’ll be happier with the look rather than compromising the result because of a scar. With modern scar treatment techniques the scars are not usually a problem.

Alexander G. Nein, MD, MS, FACS

Best option may be tough to accept...

You really have 2 options.  Either use a fairly large implant to fill in the skin excess (high profile, something that would fit your rib cage -- possibly 400cc) or a smaller implant in a moderate Plus profile combined with a vertical lift.  It all depends on how big you want to be and how "natural" you want to look.  The photos you've included are of women that look like they have less breast tissue than you, so that look with an implant alone may be a bit unrealistic.  Also, the bigger the implant, the more issues you may have down the road (bottoming out, thinning of your breast tissue, contracture).  If I were advising you, I would suggest using a submuscular implant combined with a lift, but you need to be comfortable with the idea of a scar.  Get a few in person consultations with board certified plastic surgeons and do what seems right for you.  Good luck!

Robert S. Houser, DO
Columbus Plastic Surgeon