Had labiaplasty two weeks ago after 6 days my right labia opened it was restitched and 2 days later it reopened again.

Why does this keep happening? Can I have it restitched with non dissolving stitches? Staples? I am very upset and Dr is out of office for a few days. My Dr is a gyno urologist.

Had labiaplasty two weeks ago and the right labia split after 6 days. After restitching it reopened 2 days later.

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your healing difficulties after surgery.  Whether due to tension from an over aggressive labial resection or surgical swelling, your tissues are too inflamed to hold stitches.  Unfortunately you will have to allow your tissues time to heal on their own over the next 3-6 months before pursuing a revision to achieve closure.  Hope this helps.

Labiaplasty recurrent dehiscence

Thank you for your question. I am sorry to hear you are going through tough healing phase. Because it failed twice may be let it heal by itself and plan for revision later. Please talk to your physician.

Healing trouble after labiaplasty

As with all surgeries, there can be wound healing problems after labiaplasty.  Since resuturing the open area has failed already, it would be best to let the area fully heal and plan for a revision in 3-6 mos.  Often, a revision is not necessary if the open area is not too large as the body is very good at minimizing and healing surgical incisions.  Good personal hygiene is very important during this healing phase and regular appointments with your doctor to monitor your progress is mandatory.

David F. Klein, MD
Concord Plastic Surgeon

Restitching never works. Let it heal open and get your labiaplasty revised in six months.

Recently operated tissue is weak and doesn't hold sutures very well. Resuturing is a waste of time. It needs to heal before it will hold sutures 

Incision breakdown after labiaplasty surgery

I am sorry you are having a difficult recovery. Usually if the incision line breaks down, it will heal from the bottom up. You may require prescription topical cream and oral antibiotics to facilitate healing and avoid a skin infection. Until the area is completely healed, keep the skin clean and dry by rinsing with water then blotting dry. Also follow up closely with your surgeon to ensure adequate healing. 

Labiaplasty complication

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. Re-suturing a split shortly after the labiaplasty will almost certainly fail.   You need to control your anxiety and wait.  The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less.  The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. I probably would recommend clitoral hood flaps to reconstruct your labia if your surgeon left enough remaining clitoral hood. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions. Gary J. Alter, M.D.  Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty opened

Unfortunately restitching the opening will not work until the tissues are totally healed. Best is to keep the area clean twice a day, wait and let it heal totally by second intention. After 3 to 6 months, then consider revision surgery if needed.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN