Do I need jaw surgery or can this be fixed with Botox/fillers etc.? (Photo)

For the past few years i've always noticed how one side of my jaw/cheek is bigger than the other and how bad my assymetry seems to be. In a mirror image it doesn't look as bad but in a normal camera/front camera image it stands out to me. I'm struggling however to tell if it's muscle or bone causing this and what the solutions might be. It's really stressing me how so any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Do I need jaw surgery or can this be fixed with Botox/fillers

Hi, I would suggest starting out with a dermal filler to the cheeks (Restylane Lyft which used to be called
Perlane) and Radiesse to the jaw line and mandibular angle to the right side of your face to achieve a bit more shape and symmetry.  If the masseter muscle is much larger, on the left, then some Botox can be used to further even this out.  Hope this helps.  

Treatment for jaw asymmetry: fillers vs botox

If the fullness is due to muscular overgrowth/hypertrophy then Botox may be of use.  If the fullness is due to other cause, such as parotid gland swelling, then there may be the need for medical treatment.  Be sure to consult with a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who has strong background in head and neck surgery.  Only after making a good diagnosis can this question be answered properly.

Facial asymmetry

Most people have some amount of asymmetry in their face and body, but many do not notice it, nor do those around them.  However, much of the facial asymmetry can be improved with the judicious use of fillers or botox to help camouflage the differences and provide a more attractive look.  One half of your face is generally wider than the other which causes a difference in shape of the cheek and jaw bone.

Fillers require a more skilled hand and eye to achieve the intended result.  Finding the right provider is the key to getting a good result.  This may require a series of injections, depending on your budget, but you can likely improve the difference with fillers, and possibly may need a neurotoxin (botox or dysport) as well.

Roxanne Sylora, MD

Larger cheek on one side of the face

If this asymmetry is due to masseter muscle enlargement (hypertrophy), which is what appears in the photo, then the simplest solution is botox injection into the muscle which will cause it to shrink (atrophy) over several months.  It will need to be repeated periodically to maintain the effect.

Stephen Mandy, MD
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon

Many components of facial asymmetry

There are many components of facial asymmetry, from the underlying jaw bone and tooth structures, the jaw joint structures, and overlying muscles and soft tissues. You should seek consultation with an oral and maxillofacial surgeon and/or a plastic surgeon with experience in facial structure analysis. Depending on the degree of asymmetry and the cause, correction could include jaw surgery, particularly if your dental bite is off, to orthodontics, to facial fillers, fat transfer etc.

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Do I need jaw surgery or can this be fixed with Botox/fillers etc.?

If it is related to muscle hypertrophy than botox can be used. I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon for your options. 

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Facial asymmetry

You certainly do have some facial asymmetry.  I'm afraid you are not going to relieve your concern by simply worrying about it yourself.  See a physician who is actively involved in working with people like yourself:  Plastic surgeon, Maxillofacial surgeon, Oral surgeon.  Your family doctor or your dentist may gave a good recommendation for you to see.  Recommendations may be any of a wide variety available:  fillers (artificial or your own fat), Botox (if your asymmetry may be related to over-active facial muscle, surgery (facial bone re-arrangement, dental re-arrangement, ...).  Your situation may be easily treated for you or may be a bit more complicated so you need to stop worrying and start doing:  see a specialist.

J. Howell Tiller, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

How can I fix my jaw asymmetry?

Hello Rpaj1994,
Thanks for your question.
You have a more pronounced amount of jaw asymmetry than some but this doesn't make you unusual.  We all have this issue in some fashion.
I always ask my patients about which side they like better.
For you, if you like the narrower side better than you will need to consider Botox usage to the wider side's Masseter muscle.  The will decrease muscle mass and narrow the back of the jawline at the ear.  Once this is maximized, you may still require further narrowing, and this is where mandibular bone shaving comes in to play.  Because your teeth need some place to anchor, though, you can't go crazy with bone shaving.
If you like the wider side, you can start with filler along the jawline, such as Radiesse.  You can go one step further and place a silicone mandibular implant to closely match the contours of the wider side.
I recommend that you consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon with a background in cranio-facial surgery to discuss your options further.
You will never be 100% symmetric, but you can close the gap on your current asymmetry.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Facial Asymmetry

Many facial asymmetries can be remedied with facial fillers and Botox.  Please consult a specialist in cosmetic injections for the best results.  Best, Dr. Green

Male Facial/Jawline Contouring -- Avoid Implants, Get Bellafill or Radiesse with Sculptra By Cannula Injection

I suggest you go to a facial contouring expert who specializes in fillers and fat transfer for male facial defining. Cannula injections limit side effects and give meticulous contouring. I have patients travel from all over the world for this. Do not compromise your care for cost or distance. Best, Dr. Emer.