I am doxcycline for malaria prophylaxis because I am stationed overseas. Should I stop taking it for a breast augmentation?

I take 100 mg a day for malaria prophylaxis. Is this something I would need to quit before surgery? Also what antibiotics are normally given for after surgery. I have my BA on October 10th.

Doxycycline

No need to stop that - it will not affect your breast augmentation surgery or anaesthesia

You will probably be given another antibiotic in addition to cover the breast surgery

Medications

All medications and supplements should be discussed with your surgeon.  He/She will best advise you on what is safe to continue and/or should be stopped based on your surgical plan.

Camille Cash, MD

Thank you for sharing your question.  Though there should not be any issue with continuing your antibiotic it would be wise to run any prescription medication use with your surgeon to ensure your safety. Hope this helps.

Questions about medications before and after breast augmentation.

All of your pre and post surgery medication questions should be answered  by your own surgeon only. The perioperative antibiotic regimen varies widely from surgeon to surgeon. Best of Luck!

Discontinuation of medication prior to breast augmentation.

This decision should be made only by your surgeon. I would ask that you stop the tetracycline before the operation. The reason is that should there be any bruising the appearance can be prolonged by tetracycline staining.

Doxycycline

Thank you for your question.  Best to discuss all medications with your surgeon prior to your procedure.  Antibiotics given post operatively should also be discussed as well.  Best of luck.

Breast augmentation

It is best to discuss this with your plastic surgeon before undergoing your breast augmentation. If they have any concerns, they may require you to get a medical clearance from your primary care doctor to clear you for surgery. The main medications you want to avoid/stop taking are ones that have blood thinning properties. Best of luck.

Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Stopping medicine prior to surgery

I can't think of the reason to stop your medicine prior to surgery. This is something you should discuss with your plastic surgeon though.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Good ? for your surgeon

This is a good question for your surgeon. He/she will likely could stop the doxycycline as you are not worried about malaria here, only when you are overseas. As for abx after surgeon, again surgeons preference. Some feel strongly the patient only needs a single dose of IV abx immediately prior to surgery, others give abx before and after surgery. Really surgeon dependent as there is no "standard". Good luck with your upcoming surgery.