I want my breasts done but I'm concerned about a doctor telling me he can do all three procedures (lift, reduction, implants)

I don't have really big breast but they do hang and also has a good amount of tissue still what I mean about a good amount of tissue they don't look like dry fruits. Is there a such thing as three surgeries in one breast lift breast reduction following by breast implants?

Lift or lift/reduction

A breast lift is always combined with a breast reduction.  Depending on your starting point, it might be best just to perform a lift.   You can then use the volume that you already have to reshape the breasts, eliminating the need for the implants.

3 surgeries

In some women with lot of hanging breast tissue, a good result is obtained by removing the excess hanging breast tissue, doing a lift and augmentation. Otherwise, the low hanging breast tissue may sag. They have a reduction, lift, and augmentation done at the same time or in two different surgeries. A consultation with a plastic surgeon can help determine what is best for you.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Three in one

Actually you may need a breast lift and an augmentation.The difference between a lift and a reduction is in the reduction you remove breast tissue and in a lift you only remove excess skin to tighten and lift the breast and if the breast volume is low then an augmentation may be done at the same time.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with implants

Thank you for your question. This is a common combination of procedures to have a breast lift and augmentation with implants or your own fat at the same time. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

I want my breasts done but I'm concerned about a doctor telling me he can do all three procedures

Without photos- it's difficult to comment accurately, however based on your description you might benefit from mastopexy and augmentation. 

Combination breast procedure

It can certainly sound confusing to combine these 3 procedures, but it actually does make sense for some women.  The breast lift will reposition your nipple and the breast mound to the proper place on your chest.  In order to shape the breast sometimes some of your breast tissue will need to be removed (especially on the sides and/or lower portion of the breast).  An implant can be placed to give upper pole fullness.  If you simply have the lift and reshaping done without the implant, you would likely decrease your breast size because some of your current size is excess skin and fat which would be removed during the lift.

Andrew Jimerson, MD

Is it common to do a lift, reduction, implants together.....

First of all thank you for the questions.  It is a common procedure to do an augmentation with a lift.  This will remove excess skin and lift the tissue.  The implant will give you more volume.  You usually will not remove breast tissue to add a breast implant.  My recommendation would be to have a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss the procedure that will give you the results that you are looking for.  Best of Luck.

Heather Rocheford, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Lift + implant, with some removal of breast tissue is common

Good question-- your concern about combining these procedures is understandable... Combining a breast lift with an implant to reshape the breast and add upper pole fullness is common.  This usually requires removal of some breast tissue and skin from the lower part of the breast (probably what you're referring to as reduction). 

Sometimes more significant amounts of breast tissue are removed to more dramatically reshape the breast, if they are particularly saggy.  This allows for a larger implant to give you shape, without making you overly large-breasted.  Discuss the plan fully with your surgeon so you know what to expect.  Hope this helps!
Erik Hoy, M.D.

Erik Hoy, MD
Warwick Plastic Surgeon

Reducing and lifting breasts while adding an implant

For patients with breasts where all the volume is well below the breast fold, sometimes it actually does make sense to lift the breasts (mastopexy), remove some tissue from the bottom (reduction) and put an implant in (augmentation). This makes it less likely that the breast tissue will sag off the front of the implant over time. 

I also use this technique for women who want a firm, rounded upper breast but who want to stay the same size. For these patients, a lift alone won't give that firm, rounded look, but without removing tissue, an implant will add too much size. I hope that helps! 

Dana Goldberg, MD
Jupiter Plastic Surgeon

Hi and thanks for your question. Without photos it's hard to give you an accurate assessment. All three can be done safely. However, what is your goal? Are you suffering from back and neck pain secondary to large breasts? The breast reduction accomplishes two things, reduce gland volume and lift. When implants are a
os inserted, it may be to give you a fuller upper pole. The key is your surgeons experience in carrying out all three at the same time.

Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office, as in others, we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up.

Good luck

Dr. PG